Monday, December 16, 2013

The Best of 2013: Day 1

The Best of 2013

This year I thought I would do something different with my end of the year wrap up. For the next few days I will be featuring different Young Adult bloggers who will talk about what their favorite books were from 2013. 


Meet Dahlia from The Daily Dahlia:
 

Dahlia, The Daily Dahlia, http://dailydahlia.wordpress.com  

1.) What was your favorite book from 2013?

 Just one?? Cruel! Because it's the freshest in my mind, I'll go with HOW TO LOVE by Katie Cotugno
 
2.) Why was How to Love your favorite book of 2013?


 What was really special to me about HOW TO LOVE was how real the characters and their choices felt to me. There's so much discussion in YA of "likable" characters and I feel like often authors forsake the realities of adolescent choices in order to give us characters who act as we'd want them to rather than as they would. This book felt brave and honest to me in its explorations of many different kinds of relationships - romantic, platonic, familial, and even a bit of religious - and did so with lovely writing and a compelling story.

  3.) What was your favorite quote from How to Love?

 "I thought he'd be taller." (That was the point at which I realized every character in this book had been given a real personality, and no choices would be easy.)
 
You can read Dahlia's full review of How to Love here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/615434059





Meet Jesse from Pretty in Fiction:

My name is Jesse and I'm a YA blogger at PrettyInFiction.com.

1.) What was your favorite book from 2013?
There are so many amazing books to choose from, but I'd have to say that one of my favorites released in 2013 would have to be Inhuman by Kat Falls.

2.) Why was Inhuman  your favorite book of 2013?
 I think I liked Inhuman so much because it surprised me. One of my favorite genres is post-apocalyptic/dystopians so when I saw the cover and synopsis of Inhuman I thought it would be a fun end-of-the-world read, but what I got felt like so much more than that. There was fantasy and adventure and a love triangle that, for once, didn't make me want to pull my hair out. Plus there's Rafe. I sort of fell in love with Rafe.

3.) What was your favorite quote from Inhuman?
  "Don't give me the mean mofo face," Rafe said. "I taught you that face." — Inhuman, Ch. 22


You can read Jesse
's full review of Inhuman here:

 Thank you Dahlia and Jesse for sharing your picks! 

Check back again tomorrow to see what other bloggers are choosing as their favorite book of the year.

So what was your favorite book from 2013? 

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This is a cool idea for a post! Definitely an awesome way to wrap up the year! And I love the quote from How To Love! I keep giggling :D I've been debating to read Inhuman, and I think I have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally okay with characters being unlikable if it means they stay true to the way they would really act. Now I have to check out How To Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read How to Love! But it's one I definitely am excited for. I have Inhuman on my shelf to read. Glad to see it's someones fave book of the year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)