Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Blog Tour Review: The Lair by Emily McKay

The Lair
By: Emily McKay
Released: November 5, 2013
Source: Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

 "In the battle against the vampiric Ticks, humanity was slowly but certainly headed for extinction. For months, twin sisters Lily and Mel had been "quarantined” with thousands of other young people being harvested for their blood—food for the Ticks. Finally escaping with a few friends, the twins are separated—and must continue the fight on their own . . . After making it to a resistance base camp in Utah, Lily learned to survive at all costs. But when a Tick attack decimates the fighters, Lily and her pregnant friend, McKenna, decide to make the hard trek north to Canada—and safety. Meanwhile, Mel is being taught how to survive by the very vampire that turned her. Living without her sister is hard, but dealing with the fact that her autism was cured by the vampire bite is an even bigger challenge. But when a monstrous betrayal places Lily in mortal danger, Mel must set out to find her, save her, and begin to unravel the empire of destruction that the Ticks have built" (Summary from goodreads.com)


I really enjoyed The Lair. I've been looking forward to this sequel for so long because I loved The Farm, and The Lair was definitely a great follow up.

The Lair is told through Lily, Mel, and Carter's point of views again. I love how different all three of these characters are and how McKay continued to develop them in this book. The events of what they went through in The Farm are affecting them which makes these characters realistic. Mel is transitioning into a vampire and adjusting to being separated from her twin sister, Lily. Mel's point of view was my favorite to read in The Farm because her chapters were so beautifully written. They were different this time around though, but I still really enjoyed her chapters because she is going through this completely new experience. Then Lily and Carter have made it to the base camp. Lily is definitely my favorite character in this series because she is tough, but not perfect. I can understand her motives. I also liked how the relationship between Lily and Carter was developed more in this book. I was happy to see the return of McKenna as well. She is definitely a character that has taken me by surprise.

The plot was really exciting and I immediately got hooked back into this world right away. It was difficult to put this book down for long, especially once I reached the last half. There was a great mix of action, suspense, and twists. I wasn't entirely sure where McKay was going to take this story next after The Farm, and I was pleasantly surprised. One of the things that I loved so much about The Farm was the creepy world that McKay created and she expanded on it even more in this book. Some of my lingering questions were finally answered, but I also found myself with new ones. 

Overall, I really enjoyed The Lair. It was an excellent sequel. I will be anxiously awaiting the next installment in this series. I definitely recommend picking up these books. 


My Rating:
 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good series, I just haven't gotten around to starting it yet. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series! One of my favorites. The Lair really sort of reminded me of The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this series, but it does sound very interesting! I love when the lot grabs a hold of your attention from the get go, and the characters just make the story even better!!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen so many glowing reviews of this book recently. I need to start reading the series!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)