Monday, October 21, 2013

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl
By: Rainbow Rowell
Released: September 10, 2013
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . . But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving. Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere. Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to. Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone. For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I absolutely loved Fangirl! I just recently read and loved Eleanor and Park, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on another book by Rainbow Rowell.  

Fangirl is the story of Cath as she begins her first year at college. Cath is a huge Simon Snow fan and writes a popular fan fiction about him. She used to write with her twin sister, Wren. However, recently Cath and Wren are growing farther apart, especially when Wren tells Cath that she doesn't want to be roommates with her in college. I thought that Cath was a really great character that is developed well throughout the book. She is quiet and doesn't like to go out to all of the college parties. She rather just stay in and write stories about Simon Snow. 

Then this book has some excellent side characters like Wren, Regan, and Levi. Wren is Cath's twin sister and Wren is kind of the complete opposite of Cath. They used to have so much more in common, but as they grow they up, they are going different ways. Rowell did an excellent job with portraying their relationship. They don't always get along with each other, which makes it more realistic. Then there is Regan, who is Cath's roommate. I loved Regan! She was just such a fantastic character. She is just brutally honest and I liked that about her. Sometimes I wish I could be more like Regan. Lastly there is Levi. Levi is just completely adorable and I couldn't help but just fall in love with him. He is just a good guy.

The plot was really captivating and I got completely lost in this book. I stayed up till the early morning reading this book because I just couldn't put it down. I loved that Rowell included excerpts from the Simon Snow books and from Cath's fan fiction. Then I loved how this book takes place over the course of a year and that this was a story about family, relationships, and growing up. 

Overall, I loved Fangirl! It was a realistic story with really great characters. This book left me with a huge smile on my face.
 

My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. I so need to pick up a copy of Fangirl! It sounds so fantastic, and I'm sure that I'll love it. Cath sounds like a character that I'll really relate to. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo many people absolutely love this author! I really need to get these books. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished it!! Hands down best book about starting college that I've ever read. And maybe ever will read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)