Monday, October 7, 2013

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor and Park
By: Rainbow Rowell
Released: February 26, 2013
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under." (Summary from goodreads.com)


Wow Eleanor and Park was a story that left me speechless for a few days. I had to let this story sink in before attempting to write this review. The more I thought about it, the more I loved this book. I admit I was hesitant about picking this book up in the first place because there was just so much hype and I was worried that I wouldn't love it. However, I had no need to worry at all, I absolutely fell head over heels in love with this story.  

Eleanor is the new girl at school and she immediately becomes an easy target for the kids at school to pick on. She ends up sitting next to Park every day on the bus and slowly they fall in love. Eleanor and Park were both complex and well developed characters. These characters were so realistic and could get so frustrating at times, but I was still rooting for them. I absolutely loved how Rowell developed the relationship between these characters. Their emotions and feelings were just so realistically portrayed. Most of the blurbs on this book itself say that this story will remind you of the first time you fell in love and they couldn't be more right.   

The plot really picked up and started to move fast after a few chapters. I also loved the alternating chapters between Park and Eleanor. Not only did it help move the story along, but it was great to read both of their perspectives. I honestly could not get into this book when I first picked it up a few months ago and didn't go back to it until recently. However, I'm so happy that I did decide to go back to it and even though it was a bit of a rough start for me, I'm still giving this book five stars.

I loved the way that music and comic books played a role in this story. I really enjoyed looking up the songs that the characters talked about and listened to while I was reading. I also loved how this was a story about falling in love for the first time and also a story about family. Eleanor has a really difficult and troubled home life and I really enjoyed reading this contrast between both Eleanor and Park's families. 

Rowell truly wrote a beautiful story and I can't wait to pick up her other books soon. This story somehow made me smile and managed to rip out my heart all at the same time. I definitely will never forget Eleanor and Park's story.

Overall, I loved Eleanor and Park! I definitely recommend picking this book up!  

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I really need to pick this book up, I've read Attachments by Rainbow Rowell and loved it. So many people rave about Eleanor and Park, and that makes me more excited to pick up my copy and read it. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't picked this one up yet, despite hearing nothing but great things about it. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)