Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles

Wild Cards
By: Simone Elkeles
Released: October 1, 2013
Source: BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"After getting kicked out of boarding school, bad boy Derek Fitzpatrick has no choice but to live with his ditzy stepmother while his military dad is deployed. Things quickly go from bad to worse when he finds out she plans to move them back to her childhood home in Illinois. Derek’s counting the days before he can be on his own, and the last thing he needs is to get involved with someone else’s family drama. Ashtyn Parker knows one thing for certain--people you care about leave without a backward glance. A football scholarship would finally give her the chance to leave. So she pours everything into winning a state championship, until her boyfriend and star quarterback betrays them all by joining their rival team. Ashtyn needs a new game plan, but it requires trusting Derek—someone she barely knows, someone born to break the rules. Is she willing to put her heart on the line to try and win it all?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I was so excited the moment I first heard about Wild Cards because I loved Elkeles Perfect Chemistry series. This book definitely lived up to my high expectations. It was a realistic story that instantly hooked me in on the first page.

Wild Cards has excellent and strongly developed characters. Derek is kicked out of his boarding school after a prank and has no choice but move with his stepmother to Illinois. Turns out that he will be living with his stepmother's father and sister, Ashtyn. Ashtyn is dedicated to football and her team. She wants to win the state championship. I immediately became a fan of Ashtyn as soon as she was introduced into the story. I liked how Ashtyn is tough and she doesn't give up very easily. Then there is Derek who I really loved getting to know better as the story progressed. He has his own past that he is still trying to handle. Together Ashtyn and Derek have strong chemistry which is clear from the beginning. There were also plenty of other characters in this book that I enjoyed meeting.

I loved that the chapters alternated between Derek and Ashtyn. It just worked really well for this story and helped move the plot along. I just couldn't put this book down once I started reading. I'm a huge football fan and I love to play also, so I really enjoyed the whole football aspect to this story. However, that's not all this book is about. It deals with other topics like family and relationships. There is a good mix of drama and romance.

Overall, I loved Wild Cards and strongly recommend it! Elkeles has written another great story with strong characters.


My Rating:

5 comments:

  1. I really want to read Wild Cards. I have the first two books from the Perfect Chemistry series but haven't read them yet, but I've heard wonderful things about Elkeles' writing, so I'm pleased that you enjoyed this one. It sounds like the kind of book I'd love, so I'm super excited about getting a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not the biggest fan of Perfect Chemistry, I just felt it was too dramatic but I've been hearing/reading the best things/reviews about Wild Cards.. especially since it is sports themed. I didn't know it has alternative POVs but I'm excited for that!

    awesome review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really excited for this one so I'm glad you enjoyed it. I loved Elkeles's Perfect Chemistry and Leaving Paeadise series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really excited about this one! I loved Elkele's Perfect Chemistry books, so I really want to check this one out! I like that the characters are well developed and strong! Also love that the book switches POV :)

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review. I have this to read soon and I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)