Monday, September 23, 2013

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Going Vintage
By: Lindsey Leavitt
Released: March 26, 2013
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars).
The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far" (
Summary from
goodreads.com)

I liked Going Vintage. I actually started reading this one months ago and just recently went back to finish reading it. The pacing is what initially made me put this book down, but in the end I'm happy I went back to it.

Mallory swears off all technology when she learns that her boyfriend is cheating on her with an online girlfriend. I liked Mallory and found her to be a fun and different type of protagonist. I also thought that she was developed fairly well. There were some really great side characters too, like Oliver and Mallory's sister, Ginnie. I especially loved the relationship between Ginnie and Mallory because they were sisters and best friends.   

The plot itself was really cute and I did enjoy it. I especially enjoyed the second half of this book a lot more. It was the pacing in the first half that made me put this book down. In the end though I really loved how this wasn't just a story about getting over a breakup, but it was also a story about family too.

I also really liked the writing style and the lists that were in every chapter. I do have to note that my favorite chapter was definitely the one set in Disneyland though. I love all things Disney and I loved how that chapter immediately made me feel like I was there with the characters. 

Overall, I liked Going Vintage. It was an enjoyable and cute story.


My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too. It wasn't an incredible love story that will stick with me for all of time, but if was cute and I also loved how it was more about family than just Mallory getting over her breakup. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks cute. I think I added it to my TBR at Goodreads a while ago but forgot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw a link about this on twitter! OMG, this sounds really awesome! I love vintage and this sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard about this one a while back but I haven't read it. This book sounds like a nice read so if I'm ever looking for a cute pick-me-up, I'll definitely pick it up. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)