Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen


The Moon and More
By: Sarah Dessen
Released: June 4, 2013
Source: BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough. Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby. Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going? Sarah Dessen's devoted fans will welcome this story of romance, yearning, and, finally, empowerment. It could only happen in the summer" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I'm a huge fan of Sarah Dessen's books and was so excited the first time I heard about this book. I really enjoyed it and purposely saved this to read only on those summer beach days.

Emaline lives in a small beach town and it's her last summer before college. She has been dating Luke for years and they grew up together. However, this is the summer of change. Theo shows up as the assistant on a film documentary and is staying in a beach rental where Emaline works. I thought Emaline was a great character. She was so frustrating some times, but I understood where she was coming from. She's grown up in this small town and her father, who is barely involved in her life, believes that she can do better than this town. She finds herself torn. Emaline is realistic and developed well.

The plot was interesting and also realistic. I liked that there were a lot of aspects to this story. There was the romance, the documentary about the local artist, Emaline's different relationships with all of her family members, and lastly Emaline trying to decide what it is that she wants. I especially liked the family storyline, more specifically the one with her biological father. Her whole family history is complicated to say the least. I just loved how this whole storyline developed. The romance storyline was not entirely what I expected and I think that's what made me like it more.

I loved the setting in Colby. I loved being taken away to this small little beach town and I felt like I was walking around with these characters. I loved visiting the tourist spots, the boardwalk, the beach, the home rentals, and then the small local spots.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Moon and More. It may not be my absolute favorite Sarah Dessen book, but it was still an enjoyable read. I quickly became attached to these characters and invested in what would happen next for them. I would definitely recommend it as a summer beach read!


My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I have this one sitting on my shelf waiting for me and I cant wait to get to it, especially now that you enjoyed it. It sounds so good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)