Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle

The Infinite Moment of Us
By: Lauren Myracle
Release Date: August 27, 2013
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon 
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"For as long as she can remember, Wren Gray’s goal has been to please her parents. But as high school graduation nears, so does an uncomfortable realization: Pleasing her parents once overlapped with pleasing herself, but now... not so much. Wren needs to honor her own desires, but how can she if she doesn’t even know what they are? Charlie Parker, on the other hand, is painfully aware of his heart’s desire. A gentle boy with a troubled past, Charlie has loved Wren since the day he first saw her. But a girl like Wren would never fall for a guy like Charlie—at least not the sort of guy Charlie believes himself to be. And yet certain things are written in the stars. And in the summer after high school, Wren and Charlie’s souls will collide. But souls are complicated, as are the bodies that house them..." (Summary from goodreads.com)

 

I had a lot of issues with The Infinite Moment of Us. I still finished this book because I was interested enough to see how it would end. However, this book was just not for me at all. I'm sure that there are people who could really enjoy this book though. So just keep in mind this review is just my own personal opinion.

Wren has always done everything that her parents wanted her to do. As she graduates high school though she starts to think more about what it is that she actually wants. Then there is Charlie who has a dark past. He doesn't believe that a girl like Wren would bother with a guy like him. However, these two quickly fall in love.

Wren and Charlie were both characters that annoyed me and came across as so needy. However, unlikable characters isn't enough to make me dislike a book. It was the plot and how undeveloped the characters were that really bothered me. First, I just didn't buy the relationship between Charlie and Wren. I just didn't see the chemistry between these two and I feel like their relationship was rushed. Then I was really disappointed in the ending of this book. I feel like the characters weren't developed at all. I also felt like nothing really happened and I was left with so many unanswered questions. 

Let me say that I have no issue at all with sex being in Young Adult books. I personally believe that it should be in more books. I also have no issue with it being descriptive and I admire the author for really describing the emotions that go along with it. However, while trying to avoid spoilers, I will say that there were some aspects of the way that sex was handled that really bothered me. The writing just fell short to me as well. These characters didn't speak realistically like teenagers and the dialogue was just awkward to read at times too.

I will mention that there were still some positives to this book. It was very captivating and I read it in one sitting. There were some moments between Charlie and Wren that I thought were really cute and reminded you of that first summer love. I also really loved Charlie's family, especially Dev. The relationship between Charlie and Dev was fantastic and I loved it.   
   
Overall, I was personally disappointed with The Infinite Moment of Us. This book just wasn't for me.   

My Rating:


2 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry to hear this one wasn't for you. I was hoping it would be good, mostly so I could justify buying a copy because I'm in love with that cover ;) But I understand where you're coming from with a lot of your points here and think it might not be the book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man. When there isn't chemistry between your leads, the whole thing tends to fizzle from there. I'm curious what you mean about the way the sex was handled, though--this sounds awkward, hah.

    I'm sorry this didn't end up working for you. Hope your next read is better!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)