Monday, August 5, 2013

Awakenings by J.E. Shannon Spotlight



Awakenings
By: J. E. Shannon
Publisher: Entranced Publishing
Genre: YA paranormal romance
Release Date: July 29, 2013
 
Evie Shepard awakens to a nightmare. She's been buried alive and has no idea how or why. As she struggles to remember what
happened, she begins to notice changes -- heightened senses, as well as increased speed, agility, and strength. And her heart no longer
beats. She soon makes a disturbing discovery: she wasn't buried alive; she was murdered. Somehow, she has come back...and she wants
revenge.
 
Buy Links: Amazon | Kobo | Smashwords | B&N
 
Giveaway:
To celebrate her new release, JE Shannon is giving away a Kindle with an ecopy of Awakenings (US only). One runner-up will win an
ecopy of Awakenings (open internationally). You can enter here: http://bit.ly/13v1u59
 
About the Author:
J. E. Shannon currently lives in Florida, but is a Missouri native. She spends most of her time reading, writing, and taking care of her
small child and two crazy dogs. Visit her at www.jeshannonbooks.com.
 
Author Social Media Links:
 
 
 
Excerpt:
I have no idea where I am, or how I got here. I want to move, but don’t know
where to go. My thoughts are spiraling out of control, and they are so fractured I can’t seem to stop them. Dizzy, I slump back to the ground and rest my head on my knees. I cover my ears with my hands, trying to drown out my inner voice. I force myself to focus  on one thing: How do I get out of here? The dizziness seems to have passed, so I get back on my feet and try to figure out where I might be.
The trees are large, growing so close together that their canopies touch, so I
must be in a wooded area. Leaves are scattered at my feet, rustling as the wind blows. It’s night, but the full moon gives just enough light that I can make out my surroundings.
The longer I’m out in the darkness, the clearer everything becomes. Soft forest sounds reach me — the rustling of small animals scurrying around, the constant chirping of crickets, and the flutter of wings, possibly a bat. I never realized before how loud a forest could be. The woods seem to thin out in the distance off to my left, so I head in that direction. I walk for a short while in the silvery moonlight that falls between the leaves, to a small paved road that curves away to the south. Looking back to where I was buried, I am shocked to find it so far away already. I don’t understand. How could I possibly have gotten from there to here so quickly? I wonder briefly if I am having blackouts. But that explanation doesn’t feel right.
What’s stranger is that I can see so clearly. Every detail is so crisp and clear that it might as well be daytime. This is more than just my eyes adjusting to the night. The more I look around, the sharper everything becomes.I close my eyes and try to regain my senses. Shaking, I rest my hand against the
rough bark of a nearby tree. A distant bang makes me jump. I shove myself away from the tree and to my amazement the trunk of the tree now bears my handprint embedded a good three inches in. I stare at it, mouth open in disbelief. Oh God. What’s happening to me? This can’t be real. I shake my head in denial.  I just want this nightmare to end.
Pressing my face into my hands, I try to make sense of what is going on. When I take a deep, calming breath, nothing happens. I’m not breathing. Not at all. The hollow feeling in my chest reminds me that something is still absent. I raise my hand to my chest and find more nothing. Still no beat, no pulsing of blood through my veins. Black spots appear in front of me as coldness seeps into my chest. The forest begins to spin, and I know I’m on the verge of passing out. A memory comes back to me so sharply that it drives me to my knees. A cold cell. A flash of pain. Lying on the freezing concrete, unable to move, in a pool of warm blood. Before I can make any sense of it, it’s gone
again. But one thing is perfectly clear: I wasn’t buried alive. I was buried dead.  And somehow I have come back.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for being a part of my release tour. J.E.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)