Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols

Dirty Little Secret
By: Jennifer Echols
Released: July 16, 2013
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Bailey wasn’t always a wild child and the black sheep of her family. She used to play fiddle and tour the music circuit with her sister, Julie, who sang and played guitar. That ended when country music execs swooped in and signed Julie to a solo deal. Never mind that Julie and Bailey were a duet, or that Bailey was their songwriter. The music scouts wanted only Julie, and their parents were content to sit by and let her fulfill her dreams while Bailey’s were hushed away. Bailey has tried to numb the pain and disappointment over what could have been. And as Julie’s debut album is set to hit the charts, her parents get fed up with Bailey’s antics and ship her off to granddad’s house in Nashville. Playing fiddle in washed-up tribute groups at the mall, Bailey meets Sam, a handsome and oh-so-persuasive guitarist with his own band. He knows Bailey’s fiddle playing is just the thing his band needs to break into the industry. But this life has broken Bailey’s heart once before. She isn’t sure she’s ready to let Sam take her there again…" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoy Jennifer Echols books and was really excited when I heard about this one. I was even more excited when I heard that it would involve music too.

Bailey and her sister Julie used to play music together for years. However, a record company comes in and signs only Julie, not Bailey. Bailey is now living with her grandad and playing in tribute groups. I liked Bailey because she was realistic. She was so frustrating and stubborn at times, but it's understandable. If I was in her situation, I would probably be even more stubborn than her. I loved the relationship Bailey had with music though because it was just a part of life for her. She grew up performing and it's just natural. Then she meets Sam and he has a band that he wants Bailey to join. I feel torn on Sam. I liked him, but then I didn't.

I read this book in one sitting because it just instantly hooked me in. I love music and I just love how music played a role in this story. I loved how Echols described what playing music was like for Bailey and Sam. I also loved the setting in Nashville and it really makes me want to go visit soon.

The plot could be so frustrating at times. This book brought out some strong emotions in me. I wanted to slam down my reader because of what these characters were doing, but at the same time I was still enjoying the way the story progressed.

Overall, I really enjoyed Dirty Little Secret. It left me blasting country music and wishing I was in Nashville. I can't wait to read what Echols writes next.



My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I've really been enjoying all these books with music loving characters lately and you almost never see country music fans in YA novels. Definitely looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when music is mixed within a book! So glad you enjoyed this one so much. I still need to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)