Tuesday, June 11, 2013

One by Leigh Ann Kopans

One
By: Leigh Ann Kopans
Released: June 11, 2013
Source: From Author
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

"When having two powers makes you a Super and having none makes you a Normal, having only one makes you a sad half-superpowered freak. It makes you a One. Sixteen-year-old Merrin Grey would love to be able to fly – too bad all she can do is hover. If she could just land an internship at the Biotech Hub, she might finally figure out how to fix herself. She busts her butt in AP Chem and salivates over the Hub’s research on the manifestation of superpowers, all in hopes of boosting her chances. Then she meets Elias VanDyne, another One, and all her carefully crafted plans fly out the window. Literally. When the two of them touch, their Ones combine to make them fly, and when they’re not soaring over the Nebraska cornfields, they’re busy falling for each other. Merrin's mad chemistry skills land her a spot on the Hub's internship short list, but as she gets closer to the life she always wanted, she discovers that the Hub’s purpose is more sinister than it has always seemed. Now it’s up to her to decide if it's more important to fly solo, or to save everything - and everyone - she loves" (Summary from goodreads.com)

From the moment that I read the synopsis for One, I was excited for this book. I love anything related to superheroes and sci-fi. As soon as I read chapter one of this book, I just loved the whole concept!

Merrin is a One because she only has one power. To be a Super she would need two powers and if she had no powers, she would be considered Normal. Instead Merrin is stuck in the middle as a One. She doesn't exactly fit in with the Supers or the Normals. However, everything changes when she meets Elias. Merrin was a great character who I thought was developed well. I just immediately liked her. I liked that she didn't give up on trying to get her second power.

Then there was Elias who I really liked getting to know. He is a One as well, but when he touches Merrin, their powers are combined. There is definitely chemistry there between Merrin and Elias too. 

I loved the whole concept because it was different. It was my favorite aspect of this book and it's always refreshing to read a different type of story. I loved learning about the Ones, the Supers, and the Normals. I liked that Kopans immediately began explaining it in the beginning. I loved reading about the different types of powers too. Even though Merrin can only hover, I still think that is a pretty awesome power. 

The plot was really interesting. For the most part it was exciting and flowed really well. At some parts in the middle, though, it did drag a bit, so it did take me some time to read this book. However, I especially loved the last half of the book. It left me really hoping for a sequel now. Overall though I really enjoyed One and definitely recommend this book to fans of Sci-fi!


My Rating:


3 comments:

  1. Lovely blog. Please follow mine, it's new: readandlovebooks.blogspot.com
    Thanks♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review hon!! I really like Merrin too. She was so determined and I liked that she also didn't want to need Elias for his power, but she needed him for him! I am dying for the sequel too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited for this book; it was great to read your review! Nice to hear that it has good characters, and that even with a bit of slow parts the end is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)