Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Trick of the Light by Lois Metzger

A Trick of the Light
By: Lois Metzger
Released: June 18, 2013
Source: Publicist
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Mike Welles had everything under control. But that was before. Now things are rough at home, and they’re getting confusing at school. He’s losing his sense of direction, and he feels like he’s a mess. Then there’s a voice in his head. A friend, who’s trying to help him get control again. More than that—the voice can guide him to become faster and stronger than he was before, to rid his life of everything that’s holding him back. To figure out who he is again. If only Mike will listen." (Summary from goodreads.com)

A Trick of the Light was a different read for me and actually took me a few days to really form my opinions on this book.

This is the story of Mike who is struggling in several different aspects of his life, including his self-esteem. He eventually develops an eating disorder and the voice inside his head takes control.

This was a really quick read and I finished this book in one sitting. It was the first time that I've found a young adult book that deals with the topic of anorexia in boys. Eating disorders are a topic that I'm very familiar with and I believe it's a topic that should be discussed more because eating disorders don't only affect girls.

However, what took me a while to get used to with this book was the writing style and the narration. The narrator is anorexia and the writing style is similar to a play. It was a bit difficult to really get into this story at first, but as it progressed, I really appreciated the approach Metzger took to tell this story. It's freaky, but at the same time it really emphasizes how that little voice inside your head can impact your life. I also think that Metzger does a fantastic job handling a topic like anorexia and showing others just how it feels to be struggling with an eating disorder.    

Overall I really enjoyed A Trick of the Light. It took me a couple of days to really wrap my mind around this story, but the more I think back on it, the more I realize how much this story has stuck with me.


My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting. The narrator is anorexia? I'm curious how that works. And you are right, its almost never portrayed in boys. Great review Traci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. It was a little weird at first and took me a bit to get used to the writing style, but I couldn't seem to stop thinking about it once I started. I actually put down another book I was reading and finished this one instead. I ended up really enjoying the narrator being anorexia because it helped me empathize with Mike instead of just being like "No, idiot! That's unhealthy, stop it!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review!! I listened to the audio, but I wish I had read the actual book. You know from reading it that the writing style is odd, and it just didn't translate well to audio. I really did like it though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)