Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tour Review: Game. Set. Match. by Jennifer Iacopelli


Game. Set. Match.
By: Jennifer Iacopelli
Released: May 1, 2013
Source: E-book from Author
Purchase the Book: Amazon  B&N
*A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review 

"Nestled along the North Carolina coast, the Outer Banks Tennis Academy is the world's most elite training facility. In this pressure-cooker environment, futures are forged in blood and sweat, and dreams are shattered in an instant. Penny Harrison, a rising female star, is determined to win the French Open and beat her archrival, Zina Lutrova. But when her coach imports British bad boy Alex Russell as her new training partner, will Penny be able to keep her laser-like focus? Tennis is all Jasmine Randazzo has ever known. The daughter of two Grand Slam champions, she's hell-bent on extending her family’s legacy and writing her own happily-ever-after...until her chosen Prince Charming gives her the just-friends speech right before the biggest junior tournament of the year, the Outer Banks Classic. With a powerful serve and killer forehand, newcomer Indiana Gaffney is turning heads. She’s thrilled by all of the attention, especially from Jack Harrison, Penny’s agent and hot older brother, except he keeps backing off every time things start heating up. With so much at stake, dreams—and hearts—are bound to break. Welcome to OBX: Where LOVE is a four-letter word, on and off the court" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Game. Set. Match. and finished this in one sitting. I love tennis so I've been looking forward to this one ever since I first read the synopsis.

The story follows three tennis players, Penny, Jasmine, and Indy. Penny is one of the top rising tennis players and is focused on winning. Then Alex comes into the picture as her new training partner. It's immediately clear how dedicated she is to the game and how hard she works to be at her best. Penny became my favorite because I really related to her. She is so focused on her goal that she sometimes forgets to have fun. Then there is Jasmine who I wasn't a big fan of. She has a lot of pressure on her because her parents were once athletic stars. I do like how she develops though. All three girls really develop through the story, but I thought Jasmine was the character that developed and learned the most. Lastly there is Indy. Indy is the new girl who is receiving a lot of attention early. I liked Indy a lot because she honestly works hard too. She has been through a lot to get to where she is and she works hard. I also liked that she stands up for herself and doesn't hold back. While at the training academy, Indy meets Jack. Jack is Penny's older brother and agent and he quickly became another one of my favorite characters.   

There are a lot of characters in this book and they are introduced early. It got a bit confusing at first to keep each of the girls straight so I made little notes for myself. After a couple of chapters though the characters became much more distinct and it was easier to differentiate between them. I loved how the story was alternated between these three girls and how their lives intertwined. I especially enjoyed the friendship that developed between Penny and Indy.

The plot was really captivating and developed at a great pace. There was good mix of drama and some romance too. It never really got too predictable either. The setting at the academy was great and as I said earlier, I'm a big tennis fan so I really enjoyed reading about the matches. This book also made me want to go out and play a tennis match when I finished reading.  

Overall, I really enjoyed reading Game. Set. Match. and can't wait to read where Iacopelli takes these characters next. I definitely recommend checking this one out.


My Rating:





Jennifer Iacopelli was born in New York and has no plans to leave...ever. Growing up, she read everything she could get her hands on, but her favorite authors were Laura Ingalls Wilder, L.M. Montgomery and Frances Hodgson Burnett all of whom wrote about kick-ass girls before it was cool for girls to be kick-ass. She got a Bachelor's degree in Adolescence Education and English Literature quickly followed up by a Master's in Library Science, which lets her frolic all day with her books and computers, leaving plenty of time in the evenings to write and yell at the Yankees, Giants and her favorite tennis players through the TV.









6 comments:

  1. I didn't need much else than the words "academy" and "elite". Also, I don't play tennis, but I love sports and stories about sports, especially hardcore ambitious athletes! I'm soo happy right now that I got to hear about this series...I really need to read the first book soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sports romances! I have been hearing good things about this one and now your review has me convinced. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a sample chapter of Game Set Match and it was awesome! Can't wait to read the book. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed overall even if POV is a little confusing at first. The characters sound fun to read about
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really want to read this book! I just joined the OBXers today, and it is so much fun!

    ~Harman@Little Bookworm Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I have done tennis training and hope to do it again soon but to be honest I've only trained never actually had games (apart from with my coach) so I'm not that familiar with the rules, just the general basics LOL but Ive still been looking forward to reading Game Set Match as I've read several reviews that don't think the tennis knowledge is essential to understand the plot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)