Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Obsession by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsession
By: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Released: May 31, 2013
Source: Won E-ARC
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*Note this is an Adult book
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"He’s arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For. Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy. Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something... unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret. Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable—breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life…or is it Hunter?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I loved Obsession! I stayed up so late to read this book, but the lack of sleep the next day was worth it.

Serena doesn't believe her best friend when she tries to tell her that the senator's son isn't human. That all changes though when she sees her best friend murdered. Serena's life quickly gets put in danger because of what she knows. Serena was a great character. She is thrown into an insane situation that she could have never imagined. She's strong though and I admire how she wants to do the right thing. She stands up for what she believes is right. Serena also doesn't like to be bossed around and told what to do.

Then there is Hunter, who is an Arum and sent to protect Serena. Now after reading the Obsidian series, if you ever told me I would love an Arum, I would never believe it. That was before I read all about Hunter though. He is arrogant and bossy, but I couldn't help but love him. He was just a great and developed character. 

I loved this plot and how the story developed! It started off instantly in the first chapter and held my attention until the very last page. There is a lot of action and a hot romance. The action scenes were so exciting and kept me on the edge of my seat. Then there was the undeniable chemistry between Serena and Hunter.

I just loved getting to read this world Armentrout has created in an entirely different point of view. First it's an adult novel, so it's got much more mature content. However, it also completely takes what the Obsidian series explained about the Luxen and Arum to a whole new level. It was great to learn more about the Arum and how they view the Luxen. However, what's also great though is that you don't need to read the Obsidian series before picking this one up because everything is explained so well.

I loved that this story was told in Serena and Hunter's point of views too. I just loved getting both of their views on the situations that were occurring. Armentrout really does it again with another fantastic book that I already can't wait to read again.

Overall, Obsession was an exciting story that gave the reader a whole different perspective on the Arum and Luxen. I strongly recommend picking up Obsession to mature readers!       

My Rating:


6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! I cannot wait to read this book! I love anything JLA, but the Lux books hold a special place in my heart, so I am excited to see a different point of view and in an adult light. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read this book! I've always wanted to see more of the Arum! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any book by Jen that isnt AMAZING??!! I cannot wait to finally read this!!!

    Ana@ http://owlalwaysbereading.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Review. I am really looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Aliens!! I cannot wait to read this one!!!! I'm so stoked about it, and your amazing review has me even more excited! I can't wait to get me some Hunter ;D And I want to experience that different perspective!

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to read Obsession! so very jealous of your advanced copy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)