Monday, May 27, 2013

Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Dare You To (Pushing the Limits #2)
By: Katie McGarry
Released: May 28, 2013
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does.... Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him. But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all...." (Summary from goodreads.com)

It's no secret that Pushing the Limits was one of my favorite books of last year. Therefore, Dare You To has been one of my most anticipated books of this year and it was even better than my high expectations.

Beth will do anything for her mom and hides the truth about what her home life is really like. However, she soon finds herself being forced into a new town with her uncle. She doesn't exactly fit in her new town and she isn't giving up on trying to help her mom. Beth was an excellent and developed protagonist. She was one of my favorite characters in Pushing the Limits so I was excited to read a whole book with her perspective. She broke my heart as I learned about her past, but I also admire her for surviving so much. She would do anything for her mother and even though it isn't in her own best personal interest, I understand why she would do it anyway. I loved her personality from the first moment she appeared on the pages. She is tough to put it lightly, but there is also a vulnerability to her.

Then there is Ryan, the baseball player with his own issues at home. He asks out Beth on a dare, but it eventually turns into much more than a dare. Ryan was a great and developed protagonist too. There is so much expected of him, but he isn't perfect. He's beginning to really question what he actually wants for his future. I was also so excited to see some more of Isaiah, Noah, and Echo again. There were some great new characters introduced in this book as well though. 

The plot flowed so well from the beginning to end. I read this book in one day because I just couldn't put it down. There was a great blend of romance and drama. I admit I cried a bit while reading this one too. I especially enjoyed how the whole story of Beth's past was slowly revealed throughout the book.

The alternate point of views worked great. I loved getting both Beth and Ryan's perspectives. I think without getting Ryan's perspective I probably wouldn't have loved his character as much as I did. I can't wait for the next book in this series. Overall, I strongly recommend Dare You To, it's an emotional and beautiful story. I also strongly recommend Pushing the Limits if you have not read it yet. If you are going to read one contemporary series this year, this series is definitely it!
     

My Rating:

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you loved this. I am having issues with it which makes me sad because I loved PtL and want to love this one. I think I just need to get a little further to get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want read that book soooo much ! But it is not translated on polish and I cannot buy it in polish bookshops or even on different sites... However, I hope I will read it in the future, 'cause of this revew - it's great :)

    < sorry for every mistake> :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried too! Beth's story was just so heartbreaking. I just loved these two. I'm glad you loved the book, especially when you were anticipating it so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so looking forward to reading this one! I have heard nothing but awesome things about it. I'm happy to see that this one exceeded your high expectations too, especially as Pushing the Limits was such a fantastic book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I traded for Pushing the Limits a couple months back but keep putting it off. Thanks for the extra incentive to read it. Great review, Traci!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried as well! This book was so good and i loved reading about Beth and Ryan's stories! AH. I think I may even like Ryan more than Noah.... okay, no. Not more, just in a different way!

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)