Monday, April 29, 2013

While It Lasts by Abbi Glines

While It Lasts (Sea Breeze #3)
By: Abbi Glines
Released: July 31, 2012
Source: Audiobook from Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*Note this book is New Adult

"Maybe driving home after a few (or more) shots of tequila had been a bad idea, but hell, he did it all the time. The cops had to have been freaking bored to have pulled him over. He wasn’t even swerving! That’s Cage York’s story and he’s sticking to it. Unfortunately, his baseball coach isn’t buying it. Cage has a free ride to the local junior college for baseball -- or he did, until he’d gotten a DUI. Now, Cage has to decide: does he drop out and give up his dream of getting noticed by a college in the SEC, and possibly making it into the Major Leagues -- or does he give in to his coach’s demands and spend his summer baling hay? Eva Brooks planned out her life step by step when she was eight years old. Not once over the years had she lost sight of her goals. Josh Beasley, her next door neighbor, had been the center of those goals. He’d been her first boyfriend at seven, her first kiss at ten, her first date at fifteen, and her first tragedy at eighteen. The moment she’d received the phone call from Josh’s mother saying he’d been killed along with four other soldiers just north of Baghdad, Eva’s carefully planned life imploded in the worst way possible. Cage isn’t real happy with his closet-sized bedroom in the back of a foul smelling barn, or his daily interactions with cows, but he knows that if he doesn’t make his coach happy then he can kiss his scholarship goodbye. Only a sick and twisted man would decide his punishment was to be working on a farm all summer. No hot babes in bikinis waiting to meet a Southern boy to make her vacation complete. Just him and the damned cows. Oh -- and an uptight, snarky brunette with the biggest blue eyes he’s every seen. But she doesn’t count, because as hard as he’s tried to charm her out of her panties - he’s pretty sure she’d rather see him hung from the rafters than let him get a taste of her pretty little lips." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoy this series a lot and I like every new book more and more. Each book follows a different character but these characters are all connected with each other in some way.

Eva has just recently lost her fiance. She has been best friends with Josh since they were little kids and she grew up to fall in love with him. They had their entire lives planned out around being with each other. Although the book begins with Josh's death, it is still made clear just how much Josh and Eva loved each other. Eva was a great character. She has lost her first love and is trying to move on with a life without him. She is clinging on to a friendship with Josh's twin brother, Jeremy, because of his connection with Josh. Eva is developed strongly throughout the course of the story.

Then there is Cage who is sent to work on a farm after getting a DUI. Cage is a bad boy who doesn't want to ever commit to one girl. I admit I wasn't a fan of Cash for half of the book. I did like that Low was included still in this book and the friendship between Cage and Low is still there. Cage definitely develops really well too though. Also the chemistry between Eva and Cage is clearly evident.

I liked that the chapters alternated between Eva and Cage because it really helped move the story along. The plot was really captivating and hooked me in immediately. It was predictable but that didn't make me enjoy the story much less. Just the beginning brought me to tears though and I had barely even known these characters yet. My heart broke for Eva as she tries to move on. There are definitely some sad moments, but also some really sweet ones too. It's a realistic story. 

The audio for this book was good and I think the Southern accents just brought me into the setting even more. Overall I really enjoyed While It Lasts and so far this has become my favorite book in the series.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite book in the series so far. I agree with you that the alternating points of view really helped bring the story together. I'm usually not a huge fan of alternating POVs but Glines did it well! Great review :)

    Allison @ Abibliophobic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! This one is definitely my favorite in the series. It was the only one that made me really feel for the characters.

      Delete
  2. First things first, how did I miss that schmexy new cover? I love it! Second, why have I not started this series yet? I have yet to hear one bad thing about it, but for some reason I just havent gotten around to them yet. I really must make time for them soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read this series. I have the first two books. I wanted to get the audiobooks for review, but for some reason, the first one ended up getting pushed back. It was supposed to be out last month, so then when 2 and 3 were up for review I had to pass on them. I didn't have time to read the actual first book before reviewing the second or third. I'm glad to know that the audio versions are good though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)