Friday, April 5, 2013

A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest

A Shade of Vampire
By: Bella Forrest
Released: December 14, 2012
Source: E-book from Author
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review 

"On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake. A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood. She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine. An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains. Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince. Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night. Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

A Shade of Vampire was a captivating and enjoyable story. I just love books with vampires so I couldn't help but finish this in one day.

The book alternates between Sofia and Derek. Sofia has just turned seventeen when she is kidnapped and brought to an island with vampires. Derek is the Prince and Sofia has become his slave. There is more to Derek than just his thirst for blood though. I really enjoyed that the chapters alternated between them because it provided different perspectives, as well as helped develop both characters. I definitely liked the characters more as the story progressed and I got the chance to know them a little more. A character that I did find really interesting though was Vivienne.  

The plot starts immediately on the first page and it doesn't slow down. It held my attention the whole time and it never got completely predictable. It's creepy, dramatic, and romantic. I thought the whole setting on the island was fascinating too The island is filled with vampires and there is never any sunlight. Then there are also the other girls who are kept as slaves. It's a short book though so some of the plot and development is rushed, which left me with some questions.

Overall, I really did enjoy reading A Shade of Vampire. I'm really excited about where this story will go next, so I will definitely be looking forward to the next book. I recommend A Shade of Vampire to anyone looking for a captivating and quick read.


My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. To be honest, I'm a little jaded to vampire books. Used to love them so much! Just haven't found one I fall in love with :( But, this does sound like a book that takes a different turn on the regular vampire books I see around.

    Also like that is switches POV between the characters! I agree with you, it helps the readers understand more of the characters!!

    Might give this one a try!! Great Review!!

    Magen Corrie
    ~Corrie the Book Crazed Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been seeing this one around a lot lately, but there is just something ab out it that keeps me from picking it up and I dont know what it is. But you enjoyed it, so maybe I'll give it a go. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good. It's too bad that it seemed rushed at times, but I'm glad that you really enjoyed the characters and the story in general. I have gotten away from reading a lot of vampire books. They all seemed to kind of blend together to me. I might try this one though. Great review. And sorry for being a sucky commenter lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one. A friend of mine really adores this book so I bought it not too long ago. Hope to get to it soon. It looks like a fun and quick read. Great review and thanks so much for sharing! :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)