Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza

Mila 2.0
By: Debra Driza
Released: March 12, 2013
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past—that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do. Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life. Mila 2.0 is Debra Driza’s bold debut and the first book in a Bourne Identity-style trilogy that combines heart-pounding action with a riveting exploration of what it really means to be human. Fans of I Am Number Four will love Mila for who she is and what she longs to be—and a cliffhanger ending will leave them breathlessly awaiting the sequel" (Summary from goodreads.com)

Mila 2.0 has been on my list for months because this whole synopsis just sounded great and this book definitely didn't disappoint me.

Mila thinks that she is just a normal girl who has moved to a new town with her mom until she discovers that she was actually created in a lab. She has all these cool programs and all this technology built right into her body. It was so great to read about all of this technology. However, there are people who want to capture her. Mila was an excellent main character and although she may not be human, she comes across as a real girl who still feels things. I found that she just really developed through the course of the story. 

There are a lot of interesting characters that Mila meets along the way in this book. Some I liked and some I really couldn't stand. I hated most of the characters in the first section of the book because it was just ridiculous that the girls in her school would behave that way, especially Kaylee. I really enjoyed the relationship that Mila shares with her mom though. However, I definitely did want to read more of Hunter being developed. I'm still just really unsure of his character. At first I thought there was some insta-love connection between Hunter and Mila and then it was just dropped, but now I'm just so unsure about him all together.  

The plot was great and immediately pulled me in. It also flows really well from chapter to chapter and I loved how the book was broken up into sections. The whole first part really sets up the story and the characters, so I liked that I was given some background before jumping right into the action. I also liked how we learned what Mila is along with her. The rest of the book is exciting and filled with action though. It could get predictable at moments, but I didn't really mind that all too much.  

Driza makes an excellent debut and her writing is great. I loved how she conveyed Mila's emotions because from the first section of the book, I just really felt for this character. I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel now because I have a lot of questions left. Overall, I strongly recommend Mila 2.0. It's an exciting story that will be difficult to put down.

My Rating:

15 comments:

  1. Good review. I'm hearing a lot of mixed feedback but i can't wait to read for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I am really excited about this one even with the mixed reviews I have been reading, I really enjoy books that their plot flows well.

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Shane I've heard some mixed reviews about this book! But I was like, the synopsis sounded brilliant I have just been accepted a copy of this which I very excited about reading this. I didn't read all of your review, because I didn't want to spoil it for myself! Haha! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really curious about this one. It didnt really catch my attention, but I keep hearing good things about it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I HATED Kaylee. I wanted to punch her. And I agree, I wish Hunter was developed a little more before everything happened. I'm glad you enjoyed this one too! I'm excited for the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just got a notification that this was being shipped to me, and I'm super excited to finally start it. I've been raving about it for months! Awesome review :D I'm excited for all the actiony parts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a really unique and exciting book and I can't wait to read it. I like that she has a relationship with her Mom. It feels like you don't see enough of parents in YA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Review! I was debating picking this one up, and I think I will now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm I'm really not for insta love anymore... the rest of the story sounds like it makes up for that though.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, Kaylee was sooooo annoying, hah. I hope we get more on what's going on with Hunter in the next book too, I'm convinced there's something more going on there.

    I'm glad you enjoyed this! I thought it was super fun, despite some quibbles here and there. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I almost stopped reading the book because I hated Kaylee. If it weren't for my awesome GR friends telling me to hang in there I probably would have put it down. I'm so glad that I didn't. I think that there is something more going on with Hunter. It seems too convenient that he is so willing to accept things and then go to her when he barely knows her. I definitely can't wait for the next book in this series. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)