Monday, March 18, 2013

Author Interview: M. Leighton

 
The Wild Ones: "Passion as hot as midnight in the South and love as wild as the horses they tame.The darling daughter of a champion Thoroughbred breeder, Camille "Cami” Hines has a pedigree that rivals some of her father’s best horses. Other than feeling a little suffocated at times, Cami thought she was happy with her boyfriend, her life and her future—until she met Patrick Henley. "Trick” blurs the lines between what Cami wants and what is expected of her—and he just happens to be so sexy she can’t keep her hands off him. While they both know that Trick would lose his much needed job on the ranch if anyone finds out, they can’t resist the lure of their scorchingly hot encounters. But when Trick stumbles upon a note from his father, it triggers a series of revelations that could ruin what he and Cami have worked so hard to overcome. It turns out there’s more to Trick’s presence at the ranch than either of them knew, and secrets with the power to tear them apart…" 
M. Leighton, author of The Wild Ones, Down to You, and Up to Me, has kindly stopped by The Reading Geek today to answer some questions.

1.) Hi M. Leighton thanks for taking the time to answer some questions. First tell us a bit about yourself.
   Thank you so much for having me. I’m honored to be here. Well, I’m a Northern-Southern hybrid, but I’ve been down South long enough to be able to legitimately call myself a Southerner. LOL I’m married to my own personal hero and we have a dog that outsmarts me on a regular basis. I’ve only been writing since June of 2009 and before that I held over thirty jobs *cringes* the last of which was as a registered nurse. I’ve done a little bit of everything and never been as happy as what I am right now. I’m living proof that not everyone finds their place in life right after school. All that means is that when you find it, it’s that much sweeter.

2.) If Cami and Trick each had their own theme songs what would they be?
   I don’t know if these would really be theme songs, per se, but they are songs that I think capture the feel of their place in the story. Does that make sense? It’s going to seem backward when I tell you, but it’s the lyrics that make them fit so perfectly. For Cami, it would be Wild Ones by Flo Rida. In many ways, she wants Trick to tame her, to make her his own like he does with the wild horses. For Trick, I would choose Wild Horses by The Sundays. Trick has so many reasons to stay away from Cami, and he tries. Valiantly. But he simply can’t. He can’t fight it. Much like the song, wild horses couldn’t drag him away.

3.) How has the whole process of rereleasing The Wild Ones with a publisher been like?
   It has been so exciting! I’m a total newbie, so I’m fascinated with every step of the process. LOL First of all, it wouldn’t have happened at all without my SUPER HERO agent, Kim Whalen. That woman…well, she completes me. LOL And then there’s my amazing editor. I’ll call her “OMG, Kate Seaver!” Yeah,
she’s THAT good!! She went through the book with me, explaining places she felt like, as a reader, she’d like more explanation or more detail. After getting her input and insight, I was able to make some changes and additions that, in my opinion, make the book better. I’m incredibly thrilled and appreciative over that aspect alone. But then, months later, to be able to walk into a bookstore and see my book—MY BOOK—on a shelf with so many wonderful works of literature… *sigh* THAT has been one of the most wonderful and surreal experiences of my life. I’m living a dream that I share with so many other authors. I feel blessed and privileged and more grateful than I can explain to be where I am. Not for one minute of one day do I take it for granted.


4.) What is your writing process like? (Any favorite snacks, writing places, music)
   Well, believe it or not, my writing time is very…sterile. LOL I like absolute quiet and I don’t eat or drink until I’m done for the day. Unless it’s to break for a meal. Of course, there are days when I hit a snag and all I do is eat. Very little actual writing gets done on those days. LOL Grrrrrr. But when the flow is on, I sit in my office, in the quiet, and write until the scene is done or until I’m all typed out for the day, whichever comes first. Then it’s cross my fingers and hope for a next day rinse-and-repeat. LOL

5.) Can you share anything about the next book in The Wild Ones series?
   I can tell you that the next book to be published will actually be about Jake, Jenna’s brother. It’s kind of crazy the way it all happened, but Jake got in my head and won’t leave. So, although Rusty and Jenna’s story is done and will be published at a later date, the next book to come out in this series will be about the delicious Jake. Um, did I mention he’s a firefighter? *winks*
   Thank you so much for having me!!!

 
Thanks again M. Leighton for stopping by to answer some questions! I don't know about you but I'm certainly excited about the next book in The Wild Ones series now! Make sure you pick up a copy of The Wild Ones which is out now! I love this story and will definitely be picking up a new copy to reread again, especially now that it includes some new bonus content.
 
 
Also be on the look out for Down to You (July 2, 2013) and Up To Me (August 6, 2013). I'm a huge fan of these books as well and can't wait to own the paperback copies.
 

4 comments:

  1. I adore M Leighton! All of her books are fabulous! I am dying to re-read The Wild Ones now that there is bonus content! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the interview. I am huge fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by this author yet but I loved the interview! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview!! I can't wait to read The Wild Ones now that it's been re-published!!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)