Monday, February 18, 2013

Hysteria by Megan Miranda

Hysteria
By: Megan Miranda
Released: February 5, 2013
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon 
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was self-defense, so she isn't charged. But Mallory still feels Brian's presence in her life. Is it all in her head? Or is it something more? In desperate need of a fresh start, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a fancy prep school where no one knows her . . . or anything about her past.But the feeling follows her, as do her secrets. Then, one of her new classmates turns up dead. As suspicion falls on Mallory, she must find a way to remember the details of both deadly nights so she can prove her innocence-to herself and others. In another riveting tale of life and death, Megan Miranda's masterful storytelling brings readers along for a ride to the edge of sanity and back again" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Hysteria and this book definitely messed with my head. I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next but I'm happy I took my time reading this one because it can get confusing. I even felt like I was losing my own mind in a way while reading this one.

Mallory killed her boyfriend in self-defense but she still feels like he is there. She is sent away to a prep school for a new start. However bad things begin to happen at her new school and Mallory is the main suspect. Mallory was a great protagonist because she is tough and she is developed through the course of the book. For the first half of the book I really wasn't sure of what to make of her. She is just really questioning her own sanity, especially as bad things begin to happen at her new school.

There were a couple of other great characters that I loved too. First there is Colleen who is Mallory's best friend. They have a really strong and tight friendship. Then there is Reid who is a student at the prep school but also knows Mallory from a few years ago.

I loved how this story unraveled. I liked that the plot moved forward and then slowly Mallory's memories from the night she killed her boyfriend were revealed. It's like there were two completely different plots taking place at the same time but it worked really well. The suspense kept me on the edge of my seat. I really couldn't figure this story out so I especially enjoyed how the end took me by surprise. Overall I really enjoyed Hysteria, it's got suspense and a creepy mystery!

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. I've heard mixed things about this book. Some liked the mystery, some said it was too obvious and boring. I'm a bit torn, but I might pick it up if I see it in the library. I'm happy you liked it! :)

    Nice review.
    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I really didn't think that the mystery was too obvious.

      Delete
  2. I have seen mixed reviews for this one. Not sure if its a book for me though. I haven't been feeling the whole prep school thing lately. Glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I know what you mean about the whole prep school thing.

      Delete
  3. I wasn't sure of this book was for me, but after reading your review I'm definitely reconsidering it. It sounds creepy, but in a good way!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one!! I liked it too. I liked how you were never really sure what was going on. Though at times I was getting frustrated because there were no clues at all to help figure to the mystery and then all of the sudden you are thrown a bunch of stuff at the end. I still did enjoy this, but I liked Fracture better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I finished this book last week, and your review sums it up perfectly! It was a real page-turner. I had to read it in one sitting and forgo sleep one night, but it was totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)