Monday, February 4, 2013

Crash by Lisa McMann

Crash
By: Lisa McMann
Released: January 8, 2013
Source: Audiobook from Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"If what you see is what you get, Jules is in serious trouble. The suspenseful first of four books from the New York Times bestselling author of the Wake trilogy. Jules lives with her family above their restaurant, which means she smells like pizza most of the time and drives their double-meatball-shaped food truck to school. It’s not a recipe for popularity, but she can handle that. What she can’t handle is the recurring vision that haunts her. Over and over, Jules sees a careening truck hit a building and explode...and nine body bags in the snow. The vision is everywhere—on billboards, television screens, windows—and she’s the only one who sees it. And the more she sees it, the more she sees. The vision is giving her clues, and soon Jules knows what she has to do. Because now she can see the face in one of the body bags, and it’s someone she knows. Someone she has been in love with for as long as she can remember. In this riveting start to a gripping series from New York Times bestselling author Lisa McMann, Jules has to act—and act fast—to keep her vision from becoming reality" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Crash. I'm actually a big fan of Lisa McMann's previous books so I have been looking forward to this book for months.

Jules keeps seeing visions of a deadly crash that kills the boy she has been crushing on for years. Jules was a great and realistic protagonist because she isn't perfect. She doesn't know how to handle the visions. She even thinks that she might be going crazy because she keeps seeing the visions everywhere. Jules had a really strong voice throughout the story as well.

Another great aspect to this story is the family dynamic. Jules family is complicated but realistic. I especially loved the relationship that Jules shared with her siblings Rowan and Trey. It's obvious how much they care and love each other.

Crash was captivating and I love how the plot all came together. It just took some time to get there though. Jules is trying to figure out the details of the vision and also trying to figure out how to stop it from happening. I definitely was trying to figure out the details of the vision alongside Jules too. Crash is suspenseful but also has these funny moments but it's a dark kind of humor.

I don't listen to a lot of audiobooks but this one was easy to listen to and it only took a couple of days to finish. (The only thing that kept happening to me was a personal thing with the names. Jules brother is called Trey and my nickname is Tra so I kept thinking that someone was calling my name. I never had that experience with a audiobook before.)

I definitely recommend Crash to fans of Lisa McMann and to those who haven't read any of her books before. Crash is a suspenseful and captivating story. I'm anxiously anticipating the next book now!


My Rating:

22 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I like the plot and look forward to reading this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I really liked this audiobook too. I thought that the reader really fit Jules well and the story was fast paced enough to keep me interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Definitely was a easy audiobook to get into.

      Delete
  3. I've heard so many great things about this book. I really need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't managed to read any of McMann's novels before, but I do like the premise of this one, and when you mention that it deals with family relationships, I'm that much more interested. Nice to hear more about this book, since I don't think I've seen too many reviews for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if you do decide pick it up Renae!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read anything by lisa mcmann still. I think I might have one of her books around here somewhere though. It might actually be easier to buy this than to search for it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if you pick it up Sarah! I'm a big fan of her books!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a really good read. I can always enjoy a good seeing the future read! Glad you enjoyed it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm I might just have to look into the audio of this one since I listen to them quite often now that I have such long drives in traffic. I have also enjoyed a few other books by Lisa and this one sounds really interesting. I'm thinking I want to read murder or darker books during Feb instead of romances lol

    Thanks for the great review, glad you really enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Thanks Alexa! I hope you enjoy it! It was the perfect audiobook to listen to while I drove.

      Delete
  8. Great review! I've heard a lot of good things about this book. It sounds very interesting!
    Cheers!

    Millie @ Millie D's Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't listen to audiobooks at all. I'm not nearly patient enough. But I really liked Crash too, I gave it the same rating as well. The dynamic between her and her siblings was definitely the highlight of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed it too Janita! I actually really hated audiobooks for the longest time but I started to give them a chance again and so far really enjoying them.

      Delete
  10. I have been planning to read Crash. I have not read anything by Lisa McMann as of yet, but this one caught my attention some time ago. Thanks for your great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always appreciate it when authors insert humor into darker material. Sometimes thrillers or dystopians can be so deadly serious that you just want to shake somebody, hah. I'm glad you enjoyed!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I'm a big fan of when authors put humor into darker stories. It makes the story much more enjoyable and like you said I don't want to shake anyone lol. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)