Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Uses for Boys by Erica Lorraine Scheidt

Uses For Boys
By: Erica Lorraine Scheidt
Released: January 15, 2013
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon 
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Anna remembers a time before boys, when she was little and everything made sense. When she and her mom were a family, just the two of them against the world. But now her mom is gone most of the time, chasing the next marriage, bringing home the next stepfather. Anna is left on her own—until she discovers that she can make boys her family. From Desmond to Joey, Todd to Sam, Anna learns that if you give boys what they want, you can get what you need. But the price is high—the other kids make fun of her; the girls call her a slut. Anna's new friend, Toy, seems to have found a way around the loneliness, but Toy has her own secrets that even Anna can't know. Then comes Sam. When Anna actually meets a boy who is more than just useful, whose family eats dinner together, laughs, and tells stories, the truth about love becomes clear. And she finally learns how it feels to have something to lose—and something to offer. Real, shocking, uplifting, and stunningly lyrical, Uses for Boys is a story of breaking down and growing up" (Summary from goodreads.com)

Uses for Boys was a good story that I liked but it wasn't what I entirely expected. It was definitely a heartbreaking and heavy story to read though.

The book begins with Anna as a little girl who watches her mom jump from one marriage to the next. By the time she is a teenager, her mom is never around and Anna finds comfort with boys. Anna's story is not easy to read because I just felt so terrible for her. She just wants to be a part of a family because she's been practically all on her own since she was a little kid. The reader watches her from a little girl who wants her mother around to a teenager that barely has any contact with her anymore. She grows up and changes in a way that you don't want for her. She meets a lot of people along the way and forms these relationships that aren't necessarily healthy.  

It was a quick read because the plot flows well through the years of Anna's life. However the writing style took some time to get used to. I felt that the writing made it difficult to connect to the characters and it kept the reader detached. The story still felt real but it's definitely for more mature readers though. It deals with topics such as family issues, drugs, and sex. By the end of the book though I still wanted more from this story.

I waited a few days to write this review after reading this book because I felt like I needed the story to sink in more. I'm happy I waited those few days because the more I thought about it, the more impact this story left me. I definitely won't be able to forget about Anna's story anytime soon.


My Rating:

18 comments:

  1. Erica is coming to my area for a book signing at the end of the month, and sadly I won't be there >_< But still. I've been seeing a lot of great reviews for this one so I'll definitely have to pick it up!

    Anna
    Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad you can't make her signing. I would definitely be interested in hearing what she has to say about writing Uses for Boys.

      Delete
  2. I felt like this book wasn't what I expected either! The cover really doesn't prepare you for Anna's sad story. I totally thought that there should be more when i got to the end as well, it seemed like Anna still had so far to go. Glad you enjoyed it, I won't forget it for a long time either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover definitely doesn't fit what this story actually was about. Based on the cover alone I would probably expect a sweet romantic story.

      Delete
  3. I keep seeing very mixed reviews for this book and I'm still not sure if it is a book I will enjoy. If I'm so torn, most likely not but maybe one day I'll give it a go. Thanks for the great and honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! Yeah I definitely don't think this book is for everyone but I have seen a few people who compeltely loved it.

      Delete
  4. I was so very torn on how I felt about this book. It had some really good qualities but left me wanting more from it as well. The ending was not satisfying at all for me. I couldn't even bring myself to give it an actual rating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree that the ending provided like no conclusion. It just ended too abruptly for me.

      Delete
  5. I didn't finish this one. The writing style really put me off and I knew I wouldn't be able to connect to the characters or the story. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! The writing style definitely took me by surprise when I started this but I powered through it in one sitting. Too bad you couldn't finish this one.

      Delete
  6. I've seen a ton of mixed reviews for this book and while at first it looked like something I'd love - I'm not so sure anymore. I'll definitely be getting a copy sometime, but I don't think I'm going to rush out and get it.

    Great review. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! I definitely thought I would love this one too but it was something completely different. I hope you enjoy it if you do pick it up!

      Delete
  7. Lol I was just going to say my co-reviewer just reviewed this on our blog today but she already commented! Guess she beat me here.

    Anyway thanks for the great review, I know Bianca felt the same way about the book. She seemed to like it but not really know how she felt in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! I definitely will go read Bianca's review next but yeah it was just a really unexpected story.

      Delete
  8. I am looking forward to reading this one myself. It seems like some tough subject matter. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, some of it was so hard to read. I felt awful for this character. I also felt the writing kept us a bit detached and I thought it actually was for the best in this situation. And I wish it had more at the end but definitely think it is the type of book that stays with you. So pretty much everything you said, I agree with. lol :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yeah this book kind of messed with my emotions. It's good to hear that I'm not alone in feeling this way! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)