Friday, January 4, 2013

Splintered by A.G. Howard

Splintered
By: A.G. Howard
Released: January 1, 2013
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own."
(Summary from
goodreads.com)


Let me first start off by saying that I'm obsessed with all things Alice in Wonderland. When I first heard about Splintered, I was really excited because it sounded like a really interesting twist and that's just what this book provided.

I admit after just a couple of pages I thought that Alyssa was really odd. She collects dead bugs for art projects and that freaked out a bit since I hate bugs. However the more I got to know her, the more I liked her. She is dealing with a lot and her mom is locked up in a mental hospital. Alyssa fears that she might become like her mom. However, she soon discovers that Wonderland really does exist.

There were some other great side characters introduced along the course of the story. I must say that I personally liked Jeb a lot more than Morpheus though.

The plot was paced fairly well. It just dragged on for a bit at times, especially in the beginning. Therefore, it took me a couple of days to read. The beginning just wasn't holding my attention but I'm happy I decided to stick with the book anyway because it got much better after just a few more chapters. Also some moments of the story were predictable, but that didn't necessarily bother me all that much with this particular book.

I loved the setting in Wonderland though. Once Alyssa got to Wonderland, I was really sucked into the story. It's a place that I know all about but, Howard puts a different twist on it which was definitely refreshing. I was really able to picture it all clearly.

Overall, I really enjoyed Splintered and recommend it to any fans of Alice in Wonderland.

My Rating:

24 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with everything that has to do with fairytales and retellings, so you can imagine how excited I am to read this book. I still haven't got my copy, but I will at the end of this month. It sounds great and I can't wait to see the dark twist on Wonderland :D Collecting dead bugs, that is.. different, haha. Great review!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I love fairytale retellings too! I hope you enjoy! :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry it got a little draggy, but glad you liked the setting.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked the story even though it dragged a bit for you. I absolutely loved this book and it quickly because one of my favorites. Personally I am a Morpheus person, but I tend to like the weird ones haha. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! Hah I can totally get the appeal of Morpheus but I just loved Jeb. :)

      Delete
  4. I really liked this one too. It wasn't perfect, but was enjoyable. I am a huge Alice fan so it was a must read for me. My review goes up next week for it. Fab review hon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I will definitely look for your review next week.

      Delete
  5. So glad to see you enjoyed this book! I had seen this book a really long time ago and I was so psyched about it. I love any fairytale retelling! Like, all of them :) (Entwined by Heather Dixon being one of my favorites) I've heard a lot of talk about how slow it was at times, but I think I can deal with that. I can't wait to read this one! Great review!
    Cheers!

    Millie @ Millie D's Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millie! I just added Entwined to my list because I love fairytale retellings. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  6. I've never been a huge fan of the original Alice in Wonderland. It always sort of weirded me out a little. But I really loved the SyFy miniseries Alice and, ever since watching it, have been dying to read a good Alice in Wonderland retelling. I'm glad that this lived up to your expectations!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite obsessed with the SyFy Alice miniseries! I have watched it so many times and I love the Hatter <3

      Delete
  7. I'm with you - the bugs totally creaped me out - I could just imagine having one of her pieces of art on the wall and the bugs coming alive in the night - ick!
    I thought that this dragged a bit too at times, but I also loved the twists and spins on the story compared to the original :)Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Ew I definitely tried not to think too much about the paintings.

      Delete
  8. Great review Traci! I like the sound of the twist of Alice In Wonderland that this books takes. Just sounds so good! And for the bug thing, that is a bit creepy... :/ but I'm going to have to give this one a chance! Also, I just love the cover! It's freaking gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magen! I hope you like it and omg I love the cover too!

      Delete
  9. I want to read this one too. Pacing is a big stumbling block for me, but I can get over it if it is in the beginning and then moves along. Thanks for the helpful review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely gets better once she gets in Wonderland.

      Delete
  10. How totally girly of me is it that throughout the whole book I was thinking " I want ALL HER CLOTHES " lol Great review ! LOVED this one :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I totally want all of those clothes too! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  11. Really looking forward to reading this one. Can't wait to see what this particular Wonderland is like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it and this Wonderland is definitely interesting!

      Delete
  12. I've had my eye on this one for quite a while now and after reading your review, I know I need it! I've loved the story of Alice In Wonderland ever since I was a kid and thought it was Allison Wonderland lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)