Thursday, January 31, 2013

Shadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments Reader by Cassandra Clare

Shadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments Reader
By: Cassandra Clare and various authors
Released: January 29, 2013
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments series, epic urban fantasy set in a richly imagined world of shadowhunters, vampires, werewolves, fairies, and more, has captured the imaginations and loyalty of hundreds of thousands of YA readers. Originally a trilogy (City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass), the series has extended to six titles, plus a prequel trilogy, the Infernal Devices, and a planned sequel series, the Dark Artifices. A feature film is planned for 2013. Shadowhunters and Downworlders, edited by Clare (who provides an introduction to the book and to each piece), is a collection of YA authors writing about the series and its world. Authors Who Contributed: Holly Black / Kendare Blake / Gwenda Bond / Sarah Rees Brennan / Rachel Caine / Sarah Cross / Kami Garcia / Michelle Hodkin / Kelly Link / Kate Milford / Diana Peterfreund / Sara Ryan / Scott Tracey / Robin Wasserman" (Summary from goodreads.com)

Shadowhunters and Downworlders is a collection of essays by several authors about The Mortal Instruments series. I'm a huge fan of The Mortal Instruments series so I found these essays to be really interesting.

The essays touch on a variety of topics such as the characters, the setting in New York, and themes that are found throughout the series. It was fun to read another perspective on these books and it even made me think of some topics differently. Some of my favorite essays were by Kate Milford, Sarah Rees Brennan, Kendare Blake, and Sarah Cross. My favorite essay out of all of them was definitely Kami Garcia's. I loved how she connected John Hugh movies to the relationship between Simon and Clary. It was something I never would have thought but it makes sense in a way.

Overall Shadowhunters and Downworlders was a quick and interesting read. I definitely recommend this to any fans of The Mortal Instruments.

My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. I have this and I really need to read it soon. I am so interested to see what others have to say about the series. Glad to hear it was enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this one now. So far Sarah Cross is one of my favorite ones. I love her take on Clary and how she is a great heroine using skills she basically already has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading books like this, where authors all weigh in on a series. They really get you thinking and show you a whole new side to the stories we all love. I've read The Hunger Games one and it was totally eye opening. Definitely going to have to check this one out!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)