Thursday, January 17, 2013

Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Shades of Earth (Across the Universe #3)
By: Beth Revis
Released: January 15, 2013
Source: ARC from NYCC
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Amy and Elder have finally left the oppressive walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind. They're ready to start life afresh--to build a home--on Centauri-Earth, the planet that Amy has traveled 25 trillion miles across the universe to experience. But this new Earth isn't the paradise Amy had been hoping for. There are giant pterodactyl-like birds, purple flowers with mind-numbing toxins, and mysterious, unexplained ruins that hold more secrets than their stone walls first let on. The biggest secret of all? Godspeed's former passengers aren't alone on this planet. And if they're going to stay, they'll have to fight. Amy and Elder must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together. They will have to look inward to the very core of what makes them human on this, their most harrowing journey yet. Because if the colony collapses? Then everything they have sacrificed--friends, family, life on Earth--will have been for nothing. FUELED BY LIES. RULED BY CHAOS. ALMOST HOME." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I'm a big fan of this series and have been looking forward to Shades of Earth all year. I had high expectations for this one and it definitely exceeded those expectations. Revis brought this series to a whole new level and kept me on the edge of my seat.

Amy and Elder have come a long way and now they are ready to land on Earth. Amy is a character that I both love and hate. She can get frustrating sometimes, but then I can't hate her for the choices that she makes. Elder also frustrated me in this book because I wanted him to stand up for himself more. However, I still love both Amy and Elder even with their flaws because it just makes them feel real. I can't imagine being in the situations that they both find themselves in. Their relationship has also developed a great deal since the first book. I was excited to see the return of some old characters and also meet some new ones.

Throughout the series I have loved how Revis alternates the chapters between Amy and Elder because it has provided a great way for the plot to move forward. The plot was paced well and I immediately got sucked into the story on the first page. I couldn't put it down and finished it in one day. There was a great balance of suspense, action, drama, and romance. Some twists were predictable while others took me by surprise.

I loved the setting on Earth because it was refreshing to go somewhere other than Godspeed with these characters. This Earth was terrifying though and definitely gave me chills. Overall I loved Shades of Earth and thought it was a fantastic ending to one of my favorite series. I will certainly be rereading this series again soon and I will definitely read what Revis writes next. I recommend the Across the Universe series. These books take you to a fascinating world.

My Rating:

12 comments:

  1. I've been waiting so long for this one! I just bought it and I plan on starting it as soon as possible. I'm so excited :). But I'm also really sad to see this series end. Happy to see it exceeded your expectations! Amazing review <3

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have not read these books but they keep popping up all over the place. I'll have to try and make time for them. They sound great! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I hope you enjoy them if you decide to read them. It's one of my fave series! :)

      Delete
  3. I still haven't started this series.... maybe I need to! It sounds so good! It's hard to find sci-fi books that holds my interest :) Plus your review makes me really excited to start it!!!

    Great Review!

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magen! I actually used to be really picky about sci-fi books but I just fell in love with this series. I hope you enjoy it if you do pick it up. :)

      Delete
  4. I have really got to sit down and finish this series! I've only read book one so far, but I'm dying to read the rest!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy A Million Sun and Shades of Earth! :)

      Delete
  5. I bought the first book in this series but haven't read it yet and I so want to! It sounds like this was an awesome conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great series! I hope you enjoy! :)

      Delete
  6. I only skimmed through your review because I haven't read any of these books yet. I have the first two and want to get to them soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)