Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Prodigy by Marie Lu

Prodigy (Legend #2)
By: Marie Lu
Released: January 29, 2012
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"The Elector Primo of the Republic has died, with his son assuming power over what’s left of the USA’s West Coast as it teeters on full-blown chaos. June and Day join up with Patriot rebels so they can rescue Day’s brother and head east for the Colonies. In order to help, though, the rebels want June and Day to kill the new Elector, who may pose an even greater threat than his father." (Summary from goodreads.com)


I'm not even sure where to start this review because I don't think I can express how much I love this book properly. I loved Legend but I was a bit hesitant where Lu would take this story next. However, now I think I love Prodigy even more than Legend. June and Day are on the run after escaping the Republic and join the Patriot rebels. June is one of my favorite protagonists because she can take of herself. She's smart and tough. Then there is Day who is another one of my favorite protagonists. He had a much different upbringing than June but he knows how to survive as well. The relationship between Day and June is complicated because they are different from one another and grew up in different lifestyles. I like that in Prodigy, this is being addressed much more.

I was happy to see the return of characters such as Kaede and Tess. I especially enjoyed learning more about both of their childhoods. Then there is Anden who is now the new Elector Primo and I found him to be really interesting.

I enjoy how the chapters alternate again between Day and June. I love Lu's writing style because she develops the plot and characters strongly while also making the alternating chapters flow smoothly. Her writing is beautiful as well and there is one particular passage in this book that I can't get out of my head. I love the new settings we were introduced to in Prodigy. Lu did an excellent job building this world in Legend but in Prodigy she expands it even farther.


The plot picked up immediately and once I started the first page, I couldn't put this book down. The plot has quite a few unexpected twists that I did not see coming and the last couple of chapters left me breathless. I will be waiting on the edge of my seat for the next book in this series. Overall, Prodigy is a strong sequel that won't disappoint!

My Rating:

28 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna read all of this cause I haven't read the first book still! It's on my kindle ready though! Glad you enjoyed this one, hopefully I can catch you up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely hated Tess in this book, she got on my nerves a lot. But other than her, I absolutely loved this book and everything that happened. The end broke me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending definitely broke me too! I'm dying for book three now!

      Delete
  3. Ahhh I am such a slacker for not reading Legend yet (I have it so soon!) but this review has me even more excited to start this series. It just sounds so great and I have heard some amazing things. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I hope you get the chance to read Legend soon and enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. Ahh this reminds me that I really need to read Legend ASAP! I'm happy to hear that this book doesn't lose steam (usually second books in a series do), and it looks like you really enjoyed the last chapters!

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always a good thing if the sequel turns out to be good, even better than the first book! I have this on my shelf, waiting to be read and now I'm really excited to get to it, Traci!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading Legend right now so I'm glad to hear book 2 is even better than 1!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to hear this was such a great read. I really enjoyed Legend, the setting and the writing is just amazing. I could really feel the setting of the world Day and June were forced to live in. I have to say I'm not completely in love with June's character but I do love Day so I'm hoping June grows on me.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! I love Day too and I love the setting for this series! I hope you enjoy Prodigy!

      Delete
  8. Ahh! I'm so excited for this book! I met Lu last year at the Breathless Reads Tour and I hadn't heard about her book. But once I read it, I was completely in love with it. I can't wait to see what will happen next! And I also love June because she plays that independent heroine that doesn't end up being the damsel in distress. So happy to see that you loved this book! Fantastic review!
    Cheers!

    Millie @ Millie D's Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millie! Oh you're so lucky to have met Lu, I would love to go to one of her book signings because this series is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  9. We are review twins today! Isn't June so amazing? I love how military her mind thinks when she analyzes her surroundings. Such a great female character. Cannot wait to see how it all ends, especially after that ending! Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah I will definitely check out your review. I definitely agree, June makes such a great protagonist! I'm so excited for book three now!

      Delete
  10. I can't wait to read this book!! I loved Legend and have been eagerly awaiting Prodigy. Awesome review, you have me more excited for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear that the sequel holds up to the first book. I haven't read this series yet, but I'm really excited to! Great review :)

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many people have raved about Prodigy! I'm glad it's a captivating sequel and I'm super excited after Legend, which was awesome to begin with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the first book, so I'm really excited to start this one!! And that you loved it more than Legend, well, that makes me even more excited!! * squeals*

    Great Review Traci!

    Magen Corrie
    ~ Corrie the Book Crazed Girl

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy this book didn't suffer from second-book syndrome. I'm counting down the days until it comes out! All the reviews for Prodigy are awesome. EEK! Excited :D New follower, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janita! I hope you love Prodigy as well! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)