Monday, January 28, 2013

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day
By: Gayle Forman
Released: January 8, 2013
Source: ARC Trade Margie (Bumbles and Fairytales)
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines." (Summary from goodreads.com)


I have been anxiously awaiting this book for months because Gayle Forman is one of my favorite authors. I loved every single page of One Day and never wanted this story to end. Forman wrote a stunning book that I won't forget.

Allyson has always been a good girl but while on a trip in Europe she takes a chance and goes to Paris with a boy she meets in England. After a day together in Paris, Allyson wakes up and Willem is gone. Allyson was such an excellent and realistic character that is strongly developed through the course of the story. She is on a journey of discovering who she is and what she wants out of her life. While in Paris she takes on the name Lulu and it gives her the confidence to take chances and be someone else. I know that I personally would love the chance to be a Lulu for even just for one day and Allyson inspired me.

There is just so much I loved about this book. Forman's writing is beautiful and flows so well from page to page. It was so difficult for me to put this book down. It made my heart swell but also broke it too. This book took me to so many places that I have always dreamed of going to. It especially brought me to a Paris that I wasn't expecting because it wasn't about all of the famous tourist stops. I also loved all of the fascinating characters that Allyson encounters throughout the book. 

What I loved most of all about Just One Day was that it was a story of growing up and going after what you want. I will definitely be rereading this story many more times. I'm also going to be waiting on the edge of my seat for Just One Year. I highly recommend Just One Day, it's a beautiful and inspiring story!

My Rating:

17 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book and I've been hearing non stop good things. I really need to read a Gayle Foreman novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christa! I definitely recommend Gayle Forman's books!

      Delete
  2. I love this review because it is so clear how much you loved the book and that excites me. This doesnt sound like something I would normally read but after you loved it so much I may just have to try it =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Teresa! I hope you enjoy it if you do pick it up.

      Delete
  3. This book sounds great. I really need to get to reading Gayle Forman's books!

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would love this book!! It sounds so fantastic. I need to get this one. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to experience this author's writing again! I'm waiting patiently for my copy to arrive so I can read it! So happy you loved it so much. Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really looking forward to this one! It sounds so beautiful and I love Gayle Forman's writing style :)

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing review! I recently became a fan of Gayle Forman. So I was super excited to find out about this one! I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet but I'm dying too. I know it's gonna be amazing and have heard such good things. Happy you enjoyed it :)

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the phone ringing marked a time of those who watch over the
    dead to send a message to the living. It rang and then my father apparently gave his message
    to my girlfriend while she was sleeping or attempting to sleep anyway.

    I thought the situation to be odd for the phone to ring so early and wondered who it
    would be because no one ever calls that early. So I believe the phone ringing was a wake up call so to speak that a message was being
    delivered to mark the event by something in the physical
    realm happening. The message was a message of hope that made me feel better and I found myself on this day having a conversation with
    him through my thoughts and told him that I forgave him and that he
    should go into the light. That I didn't blame him for the way that he acted when in fact I actually blamed the system of our world for that most assuredly now that I had learned so much more about it at the age of 36. A system that is based on money and slavery on some level economically drove my dad to act the way that he did with stress in this world. I knew first hand because I to had gone through financial stress and continued to do so but luckily wasn't as aggressive as he was during his time on Earth.
    But I understood what would drive him to behave that way on so
    many levels when we were poor and the elite rich ran this world in corrupt and crooked ways based on
    corporate greed and not love and compassion but on selfishness so he was a victim
    of that and I told him to go into the light that I would be okay.
    So I hope he has done this and moved unto to his
    next walk in the afterlife and that he would be okay and I
    told him that I loved him. That we all did and that we forgave
    him and understood. Even as I write this now chills run down my spine and shoulders to let me know I am on the right path of my
    heart and soul. By Ashley WilliamsMy grandparents' generation didn't know the dangers of
    smoking cigarettes but now we do. The major
    health concern for my gen... http://www.Yallfa.ir/index.
    php?do=/blog/17849/virtual-phone-system-for-small-businesses/ Check Credit Card StatementsCredit
    card statements are itemized, and often indicate where and when their
    card was used. By checking their statement, and investigating any suspicious charges, such as
    gifts or dinners you were not invited too, you might
    just find out what you want to know. Besides Emirates,
    Australia's Quantas has also allowed in-flight texting and e-mailing but not cell phone talking. Recently, the makers of the Boeing 747-8 said they were preparing their "Dreamliner" for cell phone use as early as 2013 -- it will still be subject to FAA rules, however.
    Also see my website > reverse cell phone lookup

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review. I think I will really enjoy this. I love Forman's writing and this sounds like it is amazing.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember liking this one for same reasons. Lovely review.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this recently and it was pretty amazing. I agree that the writing flows beautifully, and I thought Paris was captured really well. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)