Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Discussion: Book Adaptations



As much as I love reading the actual books, I'm also a complete sucker for television and movie adaptations. I do get a bit nervous every time though, especially when it's based on a book I absolutely love. It's hard to sometimes accept that the book can't be perfectly adapted just the way I imagined it while I'm reading. I tend to panic when I first hear the actors casted as my favorite characters.

There are quite a few adaptations that are coming out in 2013 though and then it seems like every week I hear about another book turning into a movie or television show. So I thought I would compile some lists.

Some Recent Book Adaptations:
-The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
-I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
-The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
-The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith (In this case I love that the show is different from the books)
-Secret Circle by L.J. Smith
-Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (My favorite adaptation*)

 
 
Upcoming Adaptations in 2013 :
-The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (August 23)
-Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia (February 14)
-The Host by Stephenie Meyer (March 29)
-Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (November 22)
-Enders Game by Orson Scott Card (November 1)
 
 
Possible Upcoming Adaptations:
-Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Pilot ordered by Fox)
-Maze Runner by James Dashner (Wes Ball attached as the director)
-Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (Optioned by Fox 2000)
-Under the Never Sky by Victoria Rossi (Optioned by Warner Brothers)
-Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (Optioned)
-The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (Optioned)
-The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater (Optioned)
-Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza (Shonda Rhimes signed on as producer)
-Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (Patrick Sean Smith writing the screenplay)
-Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (Optioned)
-This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers (Optioned by Sony for a TV movie)
 
(I know I'm missing a lot on these lists so feel free to add in anything in the comments)
 

So what is your favorite or least favorite book adaptation?
What adaptation are you looking forward to the most?
What book are you dying to see turned into a movie or tv show?
Is there a book that you don't want to see adaptated?
 
My favorite adaptation is definitely Perks of Being a Wallflower. I think what worked best is that the author made the film so it stayed so true to the story. My least favorite adaptation is definitely Secret Circle, in that case it should of stuck more closely to the books.
I'm so excited to see The Mortal Instruments movie. It's definitely my most anticipated movie of 2013 but I'm also really excited about Beautiful Creatures and Catching Fire.
I definitely would love to see Divergent, Legend, Shadow and Bone, and Vampire Academy as movies! However as much as I love The Fault in Our Stars, I don't think I could ever sit through a film adaptation because it would emotionally be too much. The book made me sob uncontrollably.


12 comments:

  1. So many! Very exciting! I watched Secret Circle on TV but have never read the books. Vampire Dairies is so different but I love it! I am super excited to see quite a few that are on your list. There are just too many to keep track of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am a sucker for book to movie/T.V. adaptations. And like you, I also get so nervous! It could be awesome or on the other hand, ruin the book for the readers... I also enjoy The Vampire Dairies, though I haven't read the books :) The Secret Circle was really good, sad it got cancelled though :( The Perks of being a Wallflower was flipping amazing!!! It's by far my favorite ever!! They did amazing turning that one into a movie! Just thinking about it is making me happy!!

    There are so many up and coming books to movie adaptations! Some I'm very excited about, but so nervous too... I usually try to *stalk* look at the actors and such before going to see the movie.. 'Cause if the movie isn't good, I get really mad... Don't want to ruin the book for me either!!

    Loved this post so much!!

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the harry potter films, and I liked the hunger games as well. I am so looking forward to the host film! I seriously can't wait! I love the host!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like most adaptations. I also really like that Vamp Diaries are different from the books.
    Great discussion!
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited for TMI and Beautiful Creatures. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a Divergent movie. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about a Delirium TV show. I feel like they change too much when it is TV lol. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lord of the Rings adaptation is my absolute favorite! They were so well done and really stayed true to the vision of the books, I thought. I enjoyed The Hobbit, but I really wish they didn't split it into 3 movies. >.<

    I'm iffy on the actors that are cast. I used to not really care too much. I really didn't have issues with Josh as Peeta and Jennifer as Katniss like some people did when they were first cast. I thought they were both close enough to what I saw. My first issues came with the TMI casting. I was really disappointed in a few. And I worry for Divergent as well. It's hard when you have favorite characters. You want the movie to do them justice. But I really look forward to seeing more come to light! I remember that Unearthly was optioned by the CW for a show? I wish that would happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many great adaptations coming out. My favorite adaptation I've ever seen is Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. It was adapted so well, the screenplay so well written, and all of the changes they made only served to help tell the story. It was absolutely perfect! My least favorite adaptation is Avalon High by Meg Cabot. The book was cute and funny but Disney destroyed the story hen they adapted it to a TV movie. I think my most anticipated adaptations are The Host (because that's like my favorite book ever!) and This Is Not A Test. I'd live to see that story play out on screen. It was so emotional and scary!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I'm excited for some of the movie adaptations, but some books are better of as just...books. Like the fault in our stars, 13 reasons why, the raven boys, etc. aaaah! It's killing me to anticipate who they'll cast....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know i'm really excited about the Mortal Instruments and Hunger Games. I think Divergent would definitely be a good one too if they come out wiht it because there is just so much action in it that it would be well received. I'm also kind of intrigued to see how they will do The Host by Stephanie Meyer, it's definitely not a Twlightesque type of movie. Should be an interesting year. Great post. Oh yeah I almost forgot 13 Reasons Why - I can completely see Selena Gomez in it, and all the flashbacks of her. Yeah that would be a good movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! So many. I am actually really excited about Fox wanting to do Delirium!! And I love Selena Gomez so I am excited for Thirteen Reasons Why. Under The Dome by Stephen King premiers as a TV series this year too, I think in the summer, but not totally sure. I loved that book and when I read it I was hoping it would become a TV series and not a movie since there is so much going on in that book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is insane, the amount of books that are being optioned! I really love Book-to-movie adaptations because some books are so cinematic, they're just asking to be turned into a movie. I'm not sure how I feel about Shatter Me, seeing as most of it was in the main character's head, and it was so poetic. The story itself is kind of lacking. But the Maze Runner would be friggin amazing. I also LOVE that some of them might be turned into TV shows!!! They can take more liberties with the story and go on cool tangents. Very cool post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Perks too! And I just finished City of Ashes so I'm very excited for the first movie to come out. There are so many book to movie adaptations happening. It's overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)