Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cover Reveal and Interview: Radiant

Radiant
By: Christina Daley
Release: February 12, 2013
 
Mary is part Vietnamese. Carter is a complete jerk. Normally, they don't talk much. But when Mary's in an accident on the way to school one morning, Carter nearly dies saving her life. The doctors say his chances of living are slim, and Mary's feeling the full weight of survivor's guilt. However, Carter's back at school in a matter of days, as if nothing had happened. Although, he is a little "glitchy," and he's developed a sudden and intense interest in Mary. She thinks he's suffering from major brain trauma from the accident. Or that he's been possessed. As it so happens, Carter really is possessed. And the thing controlling him is having the time of its life learning to be human. Featuring a diverse cast of characters, RADIANT is a funny and heartfelt story about being human, being in love, and being healed.
 
Interview:
 
1.) First tell us a bit about Radiant.
   Thanks for having me here today, Traci! Radiant's about a seventeen-year-old girl named Mary, and she's in a freak accident on her way to school one morning. However, a boy named Carter, who also goes to her school, saves her life and nearly dies instead. But rather than spend weeks or months in the hospital, Carter's back at school in a couple days as if nothing had happened.

He is a little "glitchy" though, and he's suddenly really interested in Mary. It may be the brain trauma from the accident, but Mary develops this alternative theory that he's possessed. And as it turns out, he is! Things get a little weird when Mary tries to figure out ways to exorcise him. Then, they get really interesting when the thing possessing him reveals what "it" is and why "it's" there.
 
2.) What is the writing process like for you?   It varies from project to project for me. I don't outline, but I'll often write a working synopsis that I reference. Sometimes I write the first draft long hand, sometimes just the first few chapters, or sometimes I'll just go straight to the computer and start typing. And my favorite place to write is on my couch. It's soft and warm, and there's a butt-shaped impression in the left cushion that fits me perfectly.
 
3.) Any writing tips you would like to share?   Different things work for different people, but one thing that works for everyone is to read well and often. Certainly read in the genre you write in so that you know what's out there, but also read in other genres you enjoy for the sake of enjoyment and perspective. And don't shy away from books you think aren't well done. Those can teach you how you don't want to write.

The other tip I'd give is to do it for the love of the game. Yes, there is a business aspect you have to be aware of. But at the core, write because you love to tell stories and because this is the medium by which your thoughts flow best (for other creatives, their stories flow best in their paintings, photography, music, cooking, wedding cake designs, inventions, etc.). If you write for any other reason than that, you're wasting time.

 
4.) What inspired you to write Radiant?
   At the time, I was working on another book called Seranfyll, which is a middle grade fantasy I published a couple years ago. When I got about 20 pages into Seranfyll, I ran out of ideas and set it aside. I then came across a bunch of science articles that weren't really related--some were about comets and others were about health and other things. I can't remember where the possession idea came from, but I wondered what it would be like for a person to nearly die and then get possessed by something that wasn't a ghost or an alien.

The story grew from there, and I wrote the first draft of Radiant. After I got it out of my system, I had come across more inspiration for Seranfyll in other places and went back to finish that manuscript as well.
 
5.) What would you say is the best aspect of self publishing?    Chatting with readers! Especially on Twitter, but I answer my emails pretty regularly, too. I also like looking at book blogs like yours. Almost all the ones I've seen have great designs and fun posts. Of course, there are probably lots of traditionally published authors who do those, too. But specifically for self-publishing, I like that I'm not bound by another entity's schedule. Don't get me wrong, I think that trade publishers are still great for a lot of things, and if the opportunity arose and the terms were right, I'd probably go with one. But right now, I'm flexible enough to write and release as I see fit.
 
6.) What are you currently working on?
   I have two YA historical fiction projects that I'm keeping under wraps for now, but I can say that one of them is going to be more on the epic side (Battles! Swords! Elephants?) and the other will be more on the quiet-palace-life (or is it?) side. My other WIP is the third book in the Seranfyll series. As I had mentioned, Seranfyll was published a couple years ago and Book 2, titled Eligere, went out last year. I've gotten several gentle reminders from my awesome readers that they're patiently awaiting Book 3 :)

Thanks again for having me here today! Hope you like the cover and I hope everyone will check out Radiant when it releases on February 12!
 
Thanks so much for stopping by to answer some questions Christina! Radiant definitely sounds really great and different! You can add it on Goodreads here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17253238-radiant

2 comments:

  1. Love this cover and great interview! I haven't heard of this book before this but it sounds really great. I also think that self-publishing definitely has its benefits, especially with flexibility of time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)