Monday, January 21, 2013

Castles on the Sand by E.M. Tippetts

Castles on the Sand
By: E.M. Tippetts
Released: August 2012
Source: E-book from Author
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review 

"Madison Lukas knows her place in the world. She’s not pretty, not interesting, and therefore easy to forget. John Britton is serving his mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and has been praying for fifteen years to find the sister he lost in his parents’ divorce. She is beautiful, talented, and makes kindness a fine art. When John and Madison cross paths, he recognizes her at once, but Madison is certain that he’s got it all wrong. Even if she is his long-lost sister, she can’t possibly be the exceptional, amazing girl he thinks she is, can she?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I usually tend to stay away from books that involve religion but something about this synopsis caught my interest. I'm definitely happy I picked this one up now.

Madison's life is turned upside down when she meets her brother that she never knew existed. Madison is a realistic character because she has insecurities that I think everyone experiences. She is discovering who she is and she has flaws. She has trouble with her best friend and then there are boy troubles too. Then there is the relationship that Madison shares with her mother, which is certainly complicated to say the least. I just found Miranda to be developed really well through the course of the book.

John was definitely an interesting character too. He has grown up so differently from his sister. I wished that I could get to know him a bit more though. I did really enjoy reading the letters between them and it's clear how much he loves his sister.

The plot dragged on at times so it did take me a few days to read this one. I just wanted some moments to be developed a bit more strongly. There is just a lot going on in this story, especially a great amount of drama. It managed to never feel over dramatic though and remain realistic. 

Some heavy topics, such as abuse and suicide, were handled well. Religion is a part of this book but it isn't as much of a main focus as I expected it to be so I really didn't mind it at all. Overall I really enjoyed Castles on the Sand and found it to be a heavy and realistic story.  

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if this is a book for me but I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm usually hesitant to pick up religious books as well, but I don't mind them when the religion isn't the main focus of the story. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)