Friday, December 28, 2012

Who I Kissed by Janet Gurtler


Who I Kissed
By: Janet Gurtler
Released: October 1, 2012
Source: Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"She Never Thought A Kiss Could Kill. . . Samantha is new at school and just recently joined the swim team. She’s been flirting with one of her teammates, Zee, who invites her to a party and just as quickly dumps her for another girl. Hurt, but pretending not to care, she turns to his best friend, Alex, and gives him a kiss. And he dies—right in her arms. Alex was allergic to peanuts, and Samantha had eaten a peanut butter sandwich right before the party. She didn’t know. Overnight, Samantha turns into the school pariah and a media sensation explodes. Consumed with guilt, abandoned by her friends, and in jeopardy of losing her swimming scholarship, she will have to find the inner-strength to forgive herself for the tragedy." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Who I Kissed and finished this book in one sitting. I loved how it was organized into beginning, during, and after sections because it made the story flow really well.

Samantha was a character that instantly felt real to me. She recently started a new school and she loves swimming. However, one night she kisses the best friend of the boy she really likes. She ate peanut butter before kissing him and this boy is allergic to peanut butter. Samantha didn't know about the allergy and after the kiss, he dies. It's quite horrifying to think about and I just felt terrible for Samantha. I couldn't blame Samantha because it's not something I would even think could happen either. Samantha is left to deal with a lot. However, I think she is developed really strongly.

The plot moves along at a great pace and held my attention the entire time. There is a good amount of drama in this book too. I think that, at times, the drama is what made it feel even more realistic. There is bullying and lying. Who I Kissed made me sad, frustrated, and then even laugh a bit. Mostly though it made me think about the consequences of some of those in the moment choices. It also educated me more about food allergies, which is something that I never really had any experience with.

Overall, I really enjoyed Who I Kissed and won't be able to forget this story for a long time.

My Rating:

11 comments:

  1. This happened to my mom with a boyfriend she had when she was a teenager. He was allergic to peanuts and she had just eaten a peanut butter cookie. He didn't die but he did have to go to the hospital. It's really crazy that something as simple as a kiss can kill someone. You've made this book sound really good and now I want to read it :)

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is so scary Jesse. I definitely recommend checking this one out then!

      Delete
  2. Great review hon!! I still have to read this one. I almost killed my husband when we first started dating. We were out at a bar and playing pool and I got some pistachios and was eating them. I went to feed him a few and he thought I had peanuts. Well, turns out he is super allergic to pistachios. They make his throat swell. Luckily he was okay, but I felt horrible and it was terrifying. Anyways, I think that this sounds like a great book and judging by your review it won't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is scary. I'm so lucky to have never had any real extreme incident with allergies like that.
      Thanks Amy! Hope you pick it up!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds so different and refreshing. I remember seeing it a while back but then I kind of forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me that I want to read it lol. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing this one awhile ago as well and I remember wanting to read it, but for some reason I just didn't get to it. Thanks for the reminder. I'll be bumping this up on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to hear the stories! Thanks for a great review! I hope you all get a chance to read it. (and I hope you like it. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're making me want to read this right now! I was going to read a review book next, but I'm conflicted! WHAT TO DO?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is like the story of my life right there. :) Hope you enjoy it when you do pick it up!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)