Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Believing Game by Eireann Corrigan

The Believing Game
By: Eireann Corrigan
Released: December 1, 2012
Source: ARC from Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"A private academy. A cult leader. A girl caught in the middle. After Greer Cannon discovers that shoplifting can be a sport and sex can be a superpower, her parents pack her up and send her off to McCracken Hill-a cloistered academy for troubled teens. At McCracken, Greer chafes under the elaborate systems and self-help lingo of therapeutic education. Then Greer meets Addison Bradley. A handsome, charismatic local, Addison seems almost as devoted to Greer as he is to the 12 steps. When he introduces Greer to his mentor Joshua, she finds herself captivated by the older man's calm wisdom. Finally, Greer feels understood. But Greer starts to question: Where has Joshua come from? What does he want in return for his guidance? The more she digs, the more his lies are exposed. When Joshua's influence over Addison edges them all closer to danger, Greer decides to confront them both. Suddenly, she finds herself on the outside of Joshua's circle. And swiftly, she discovers it's not safe there" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really liked The Believing Game, it was an intense story that left me with chills. I personally have not read a story quite like this one before. I liked that I never really knew where Corrigan was going to take this story next.   

The Believing Game is filled with interesting and realistic characters. I really enjoyed getting to know this group of kids at McCracken and found that they were each developed quite strongly. Greer is sent to to McCracken Hill after getting in a lot of trouble. While at the school, Greer meets other troubled kids that have been sent away as well. She wasn't the most likable character, but at the same time she never really annoyed me. She just doesn't always make the best decisions and has a lot of issues going on. Then there is Addison who introduces Greer to Joshua. Joshua, Addison's sponsor, terrified me.

The plot took some time for me to get invested in, so this book took me a few days to read. I really enjoyed the last half of this book the most though because everything just got crazy. I even admit to gasping out loud. However, I'm happy in a way that I took my time with this book because it was a story that definitely messed with my mind. It's heavy on the creepiness factor. There were even several unexpected twists that made my heart race.

Overall, The Believing Game was an enjoyable read. I recommend it to anyone looking for a creepy and thrilling story.

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one before. Sounds intriguing, glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover of this book give me chills!! But I like it :)This definitely sounds like an intense and very different read! Sounds good!

    Great review!!

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. I DNF'd it. It seemed like it would be a good story I was just very bored with it and it felt like it was going nowhere fast. I hate when I want to like a book and can't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! :( It did take me some time to get into the story but I'm happy I still stuck with it.

      Delete
  4. WOW. I think this one would totally freak me out. ESPECIALLY because you say this author sounds like she knows what she's talking about. I can imagine myself watching a documentary about this on some late night cable channel. But not sure I could handle it in book form. Great review, though.

    Rowena Hailey (WA Speeding Ticket)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)