Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Opal (Lux #3)
By: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Released: December 11, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"No one is like Daemon Black. When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on. But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love. After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever. Together we’re stronger... and they know it" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I'm not even quite sure when to begin this review of Opal. I've waited a few days to let the book sink in, but I still feel like I can't exactly articulate my feelings that this book left me with. There is just so much that happens. I've said this basically in every review I've written on a book by Armentrout, but she just knows how to write the type of book that I want to read. There is a perfect balance of action, romance, drama, humor, and unexpected twists. I have had such high expectations for Opal for months and it was better than I could have ever imagined.

I love the characters in this series and they have become so real for me. Katy especially has come a long way since the first book, Obsidian. She's developed a great deal ever since she met Daemon and Dee. She's definitely been through a lot since she's gotten involved in this world and it's affecting her. I like that Katy is struggling with how she is changing because it's realistic. She is with Daemon now though. Their relationship isn't perfect and I like that it isn't because that's not what I would expect from Daemon and Katy. I definitely loved seeing another side to Daemon too.

I also loved seeing the return of some of my other favorite characters. One of the only minor problems that I had with Onyx was that there wasn't enough Dee. Therefore, I was happy to see Dee involved more in this book. She's another character who has come a long way since book one.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I began Opal, especially after the way Onyx ended. However, Opal starts up immediately and there is a lot that Katy and Daemon are faced with. Everything that Obsidian and Onyx began to set up, is now falling into place. The plot flows smoothly from page to page though. As badly as I wanted to take my time reading this book, I couldn't put it down for long. As I got closer to last few chapters, I got a feeling of anxiety because I just didn't want it end.  

Opal was filled with moments that made my heart race. It also made me laugh and cry. I just completely loved this book and it doesn't happen often that I love a series even more with each new book. I will definitely be rereading Opal again very soon as I wait for book four. I highly recommend Opal, it does not disappoint and it will leave you speechless!

My Rating:

18 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know there was going to be a book four! I thought this was the last one in the series. Very excited to get to this now =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is going to be five books!

      Delete
    2. Hope you enjoy it Heather! Yay 5 books! :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! I agree, Jennifer Armentrout is a great writer - she writes books that readers want to read (if that makes any sense at all). But I keep hearing about a HUGE cliffhanger that has me very nervous. I'm glad for more books to come though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel Lauren! Hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  3. THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME!!!! Yes, that sentence deserved to be in all caps!! ha ha I took me a few days to let this book sink in, too. The characters are amazing, and I just love them. JLA, god, that woman can create a book like no other, in my opinion. Opal is the shining jewel that proves it!
    It really, really left me speechless!! That ending.......... Need the next book NOW!!!!!

    Great Review Traci!

    :D

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it definitely needed all caps Magen! That was my reaction when I finished the book. Happy you loved it too! Yes now must read the next book! Thanks Magen! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi there, the December edition of Books You Loved has just gone live today. Here is the link Books You Loved December Edition Please do pop by and link in a post about a book you loved. Maybe this one? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review hon!! Mine goes up tomorrow. I had a hard time trying to review it without saying too much. I think as you get further into a series the books become harder to review. I am definitely dying for Origin now though. OMG that ending!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Will stop by your blog tomorrow to read your review. Definitely excited for Origin now! :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome review! I loved this book too an that ending was a killer. I've been trying to move on from Opal but I just can't do it. No book I rea after stands a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I'm in such a serious reading slump right now. It's been one week and nothing is holding my interest now. Opal should come with a warning! :)

      Delete
  7. Great review! There are so many feelings going on at the end of this book. I have no idea what's in store for book 4 but I really can't wait for it!!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesse! I'm definitely nervous about book 4 now.

      Delete
  8. I am thrilled to see that this series stays strong. I just finished reviewing Onyx and Opal is up next after my holiday reads. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy Opal then and I'm happy to hear you are enjoying this series too! :)

      Delete
  9. I know how much you love the series so I am glad you enjoyed this latest installment. I swear I will read these books someday. lol Great review, Traci. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah yes I do thanks Sara! Hope you get the opportunity to read the series one day and love it too :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)