Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Blog Tour: The Farm by Emily McKay

The Farm
By: Emily McKay
Released: December 4, 2012
Source: From Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
Website: http://www.escapethefarm.com/

"Life was different in the Before: before vampires began devouring humans in a swarm across America; before the surviving young people were rounded up and quarantined. These days, we know what those quarantines are—holding pens where human blood is turned into more food for the undead monsters, known as Ticks. Surrounded by electrical fences, most kids try to survive the Farms by turning on each other…And when trust is a thing of the past, escape is nearly impossible. Lily and her twin sister Mel have a plan. Though Mel can barely communicate, her autism helps her notice things no one else notices—like the portion of electrical fence that gets turned off every night. Getting across won’t be easy, but as Lily gathers what they need to escape, a familiar face appears out of nowhere, offering to help…Carter was a schoolmate of Lily’s in the Before. Managing to evade capture until now, he has valuable knowledge of the outside world. But like everyone on the Farm, Carter has his own agenda, and he knows that behind the Ticks is an even more dangerous threat to the human race..." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Wow I'm not even sure where to begin with this review. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I began reading The Farm, but the synopsis sounded great and I do love vampire stories. This book completely sucked me in on this intense adventure though and I loved every page of it. It was more than I could have expected. 

The characters were so deeply developed and I loved how the chapters alternated. The alternating chapters provided an insight into the characters and their motives and I don't think this story would have worked so well without it. First there is Lily who lives with her sister on a Farm. The Farm is where kids are basically prisoners. They are kept secluded away from the outside world, including the Ticks. Lily plans on escaping though. I liked Lily because she was tough and determined. She was a smart protagonist but still not perfect. She has flaws and makes mistakes but it was what made her more realistic. I also admired how Lily took care of her sister Mel. Mel has autism but she can notice things that Lily doesn't. The chapters in Mel's perspective were especially interesting. Lastly there is Carter who Lily knew from the days before the Farm and the Ticks. Carter was a really great character because I just didn't know what to expect from him. He has this mysterious past and I enjoyed how it unraveled.

The plot was paced really well. McKay took the time to let the plot and characters develop without ever letting the story slow down. I just loved how this story built up from the beginning to the ending. There was a lot of suspense and action that immediately held and captured my attention. There were also plenty of twists that I never expected.

Another great aspect of this book was the world that McKay created. It was completely terrifying. I loved how it was presented in the beginning and then as the story progressed, the setting was expanded even more. The Farms definitely provided a chilling setting and the more I learned about it, the more it freaked me out. However, I loved when there were flashbacks to the past before the Farm. It provided a great contrast between what the world was before to how it is now. Also it was a reminder of the little things that the characters miss the most. Overall, I highly recommend The Farm. It's an intense story that will be difficult to put down.  

My Rating:



Exclusive Content:
Dear Reader letter from Mel:
The Farm is an infinite playlist, the songs shuffling with every chorus. None of the music makes sense. Lily works so hard to take care of me, singing lullabies and nursery rhymes, as if Bye, bye Baby Bunting will keep us safe. I tell her over and over again about the billy goats gruff and the hole in the fence, but all the three blind mice in the world can’t help her understand. Here I am, stuck, nursing nursery rhymes for meaning and she can see the buzzing silence right in front of her. Silly Lily. She never listens. Could you?
If you could hear past the playlist shuffle, I could tell you so much. I could tell you all you need to get out before it’s too late. We’re all running out of time. Listen. Hear. While you can.

Giveaway:
One winner will receive a copy of The Farm along with a Vampire Apocalypse Survival Kit. Giveaway is open to US residents only. (Thank you Penguin for the giveaway)
 
 
 
Check out yesterdays stop on the tour at Cornucopia of Reviews: http://cornucopiaofreviews.blogspot.com/



Then make sure to stop by Chica Reader tomorrow for another stop on the tour:  http://chicareader.blogspot.com/


19 comments:

  1. The dynamic between Mel and Lily sounds like something I would enjoy - I've always been a sucker for well-explored sibling relationships! The chapters from Mel's POV sounds really interesting as well. And wow, how unique is the plot!?

    Great review as always, Traci!

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would gather up food and water then find shelter. Gather weapons and make sure everyone had sturdy shoes. Make sure to have a stake handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to hide somewhere in the wilderness away from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why am I international :( I can't wait to read this book! Vampires; always great, they still have something fascinating in my eyes. The sound of this book and the characters: love it :) And I'm happy to hear that the pace was good. Great review!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I'm also hosting some other contests (one on this site: http://officialmariavsnyder.blogspot.com) and I will ship internationally for them. If you follow me on Facebook either at Emily McKay or Escape the Farm, I'll post whenever the contest will mail international. I know it's an issue for some people!

      Delete
  5. I'd head for the hills. Strap on my backpack, hiking shoes, taser, MREs (just because I don't fancy shooting squirrels or rabbits for food - besides, you need to save the ammo for when the vampires come, amirite?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this book sounds awesome. I am deff gonna have to add this to my TBR. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, drape myself in garlic? I don't know, it's scary to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so in love with The Farm! I'm about halfway through and I can't wait to finish it. I'm usually not a huge fan of alternating POV's, but shifting between Lily, Mel am Carter keeps me so intrigued. I especially love Mel's chapters. She's so perceptive and I love picking up on all of her clues! Great review :)

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesse! Happy to hear you're enjoying it too! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Jesse, I'm so glad you're enjoying it! Thank you!!!

      Delete
  9. This book sounds so awesome. I have been wanting to read it since I first heard about it. I think to survive I would try to find shelter somewhere very remote, though I might be setting myself up for disaster that way. No one would be around to hear me if something did happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited to get my hands on a copy of The Farm. Thank for the chance to win!

    In all honesty, I don't think I would survive any kind of apocalypse, let alone a vampire one. Run and hide to safe houses? Do guns work on this vampires?

    I'm probably rely on my outdoors man, grew up in a cabin in the wild, Step-dad to save our family. I have no clue what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I probably wouldn't but if I did I would like to become one.
    magic5905 at embarqmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shucks, just when I thought I was prepped for a zombie apocalypse, you throw vampires at me. I think I would just like to become one...so I can read for all eternity.

    Then there's the whole biting people's neck thing....oh wells, I'll figure it out later.
    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to make the time to read The Farm. I am hoping to squeeze in some holiday reads, so I hope to get to it in January. I am glad that you liked it. I only skimmed your review. I like to know very little before jumping into a book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. find somewhere to hide

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stay low, keep moving and do anything I needed to do to survive.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)