Thursday, December 20, 2012

Blog Tour: Dark Return by Taryn Browning



Dark Return (Seeker #2)
By: Taryn Browning
Released: November 27, 2012
Source: SupaGurl Blog Tours
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided in exchange for an honest review 

"Janie Grey is dedicated to hunting the undead, an inherited duty passed down from her Cherokee ancestors and generations of powerful Seekers before her. Then, there's Kai. He's like no one she's ever met - cocky, fast, skillful, infuriating and gorgeous. Not only has he become a valuable asset in her fight against the growing population of the vampire/demon hybrid known as Daychildren... She's unwittingly fallen for him. Just when Janie thinks she's learned everything there is to know about Kai's mysterious past, there's a newcomer to Baltimore. Someone who will do anything to make sure Janie loses Kai forever." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Dark Seeker so I've been really looking forward to Dark Return for quite some time. My expectations were definitely met and Dark Return was a great sequel.

Janie is one of my favorite female characters because she's tough. She's a Seeker and hunts down Daychildren. She can take care of herself and she doesn't let herself get walked all over. However I liked that there was a lot more Kai in this book. I really liked learning more about Kai's past and I enjoyed the flashbacks. Kai did annoy me at times because of his choices but it's kind of difficult to ever hate Kai.

The plot jumps rights in from the first page which I really loved. However I found myself having to go back to Dark Seeker after a few pages to get a refresher because I read it about a year ago. There is a lot of action in this book which is one of the reasons why I enjoyed the first book so much. The plot does get rushed at some places though and I did wish that moments lasted a bit longer.

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect when I first picked up Dark Return but Browning definitely surprised me at some moments. The last few chapters especially left me on the edge of my seat. I will now be anxiously anticipating the next book. Overall Dark Return makes a great and exciting sequel. I strongly recommend this series, the books are quick and action-packed reads with tough characters.


My Rating:



Taryn Browning writes novels for young adults. She's also an avid reader and dreamer with a crazy imagination. Her debut urban fantasy is Dark Seeker. The sequel, Dark Return, will be available Nov, 2012. You can also check out the prequel novella, Dark Beauty. Her newest paranormal romance, Whispering Hills, and urban fantasy, Emanare, were also released this year. Taryn graduated with a BS in Education from Towson University and went on to earn a MS in Reading from Hood College. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, spending time with friends and family, music, movies, and the beach. Some of her favorite TV shows growing up included Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed and Angel. For as long as she can remember she's loved all things fantastical, paranormal and magical. Visit her at www.tarynbrowning.com. Follow her on her blog www.yafictionauthor.blogspot.com, on twitter (@TarynBrowning), and facebook (Dark Seeker & Taryn Browning).

Giveaway:


7 comments:

  1. Have u ever been to a creative writing workshop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if this question is for me or the author, but I myself have personally taken a few creative writing classes in high school and college.

      Delete
  2. Its for both you and the author! :D How was your experiences? good? bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I hated it but now I love it. The classes definitely helped me with gaining confidence in my writing and taught me some great techniques that I use all the time while writing now.

      Delete
    2. Great question! I have not taken a formal creative writing workshop, but it sounds like it would be lots of fun and very informative. I've taken countless high school/college courses, but nothing that allowed me to explore the creative side of my writing. It would have definitely been one of my favorite courses :)

      Delete
  3. i want to read ur book taryn :)
    sounds a great book and i love the cover too ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thank you! It's so nice to meet you :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)