Friday, November 30, 2012

Something Like Normal by Trish Doller

Something Like Normal
By: Trish Doller
Released: June 19, 2012
Source: Purchased E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"When Travis returns home from a stint in Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother’s stolen his girlfriend and his car, and he’s haunted by nightmares of his best friend’s death. It’s not until Travis runs into Harper, a girl he’s had a rocky relationship with since middle school, that life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he begins to pick his way through the minefield of family problems and post-traumatic stress to the possibility of a life that might resemble normal again. Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Something Like Normal and wish I read this book sooner. I got this book a while ago but kept putting it off for no good reason. The moment I read the first line, I couldn't stop reading. It's a tough story at times but it also has these great and hopeful moments too. This book is just yet another example of why I love contemporary stories.

Travis is a great protagonist and I personally have never read a story with a narrator quite like him. He is just returning from Afghanistan and is dealing with quite a lot. His best friend is dead and he keeps having nightmares. His home life isn't all that great either. He's never gotten along with his father and his brother is now dating the girl he was dating before he left. Travis was a complex character who is really strongly developed. Honestly at times I didn't really like him all that much but that's because of his choices. Also he's just a realistic guy and he isn't perfect. I really liked getting inside his mind though and learning about him. I think one of my favorite aspects of this book was his relationship with his mom.

Then there is Harper who was a surprising character. Travis runs into Harper again when he is home. Years ago, Travis didn't treat Harper all that well. I didn't know what to expect from Harper at first but I really liked getting to know her too. She was tough and she could hold her own. Harper was also really realistic too.
 
The plot immediately sucked me in and I finished this book in one sitting. I just couldn't wait to read where Travis' story would lead him next. Doller handles quite a lot of heavy topics in this book. Travis hasn't dealt with what happened in Afghanistan and he isn't dealing with what is happening at home either. I definitely found myself getting choked up a few times even. There are still some lighter moments to though. Overall this story and these characters just felt so real to me. I would definitely read another book by Doller. I strongly recommend picking up Something Like Normal!

My Rating:

16 comments:

  1. I really loved this one. And the complexity to Travis is what makes it so real. I loved the scene with the sea turtles.<3 Great review Traci! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Loved the scene with the sea turtles! Definitely one of my favorite moments!

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favorite NA reads. Travis and Harper are definitely memorable characters. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This is one of my favorite contemporary reads this year! I love that the book is from a guys perspective! I also found myself getting chocked up as well! I'm glad more people are reading this book :)

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! Loved that it was from a guy's perspective too.

      Delete
  4. I also really enjoyed Something Like Normal, and I am glad you enjoyed it too!!! I am married to a Marine, so I just really enjoyed the plot of this story and the characters so so much. And you are right, it just sucks you in!! Great review Traci!!!

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magen! Wow I'm glad you loved it too then and could connect to it.

      Delete
  5. This book sounds very intense but in a good way. I'll have to check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been wanting to read this for a while. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Hope you get the chance to read it soon!

      Delete
  7. I love this book! Swoons for Travis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you love it too Cari! Definitely swoons for Travis <3

      Delete
  8. I appreciate your informative review. I own Something Like Normal, but have yet to crack it open. I will have to make some time for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)