Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Meant To Be by Lauren Morrill

Meant To Be
By: Lauren Morrill
Released: November 13, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Meant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question.  It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be"). But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love. Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I absolutely loved Meant To Be! I loved the writing, the characters, and the setting. This book just helped fuel my new found obsession with Contemporary books. 

Julia is going on a class trip to London for about two weeks. Julia is a bit uptight and strict on following the rules. She also has this idea that she has a "meant to be" out there and it's up to fate when they will fall in love. However, she believes that her "meant to be" is her childhood neighbor who just moved back. While on the trip she is paired up to be partners with Jason who is the class-clown and Julia can't stand him. However, he starts to show her that breaking the rules isn't such a bad thing. Julia is a character that could be quite annoying. She has this perfect idea in her head of what she wants her life to be like but it doesn't work that easily. I liked when she began to let loose and stop following the rules so much though. Even though she could get annoying and she makes mistakes, I still found her to be a likable character. I especially like how she is developed over the course of this book.  

My favorite character in this story is definitely Jason. He doesn't take things too seriously and I love that about him. However, he is more than meets the eye. It's difficult to not completely fall in love with him while reading this book. I loved how he is developed and how the relationship developed between him and Julia.

The plot is fun and paced really well. I read this book in one sitting because I couldn't wait to find out what will happen next. Some moments had me definitely laughing out loud too. I loved going on the adventures with Julia and Jason through London as they track down the mysterious guy that Julia met at a party. It was predictable from the beginning what would happen but that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable or that there weren't a few surprises.

I completely loved the setting in London. So many landmarks that I dream of visiting one day are described in great and vivid detail. I felt like I was walking the streets of London alongside Julia and Jason. I really enjoyed Morrill's writing because it was realistic. Everything about this story, especially the characters, felt real to me. By the end I was reluctant to say goodbye to these characters so I will definitely be rereading this book again soon. Overall I loved Meant to Be and strongly recommend it. It will take you on a fun adventure you won't want to miss out on! 

My Rating:

12 comments:

  1. This book sounds fantastic and I am totally dying to read it! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adored this book. I'm so glad you did as well! It's so funny because after I read Meant to Be, I found myself falling more and more in love with contemporaries as well! I normally stick strictly to the paranormal/supernatural stories. I totally agree about Jason. He was *one* of my favorites too. Although I suspected from the beginning that he wasn't such some uber-popular class clown, I still thoroughly enjoyed learning new things about him and watching his character open up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yay I'm glad you loved this one too! :)

      Delete
  3. Great review! It sounds really awesome. I love when a book about traveling can pull you in and make you feel like you're visiting the same locations as the characters!

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such a cute and sweet book. I have it to read and need to get to it soon. I meant to I just got behind the past month. Great review. You have made me excited to get to this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book just sounds so cute! I adore contemporary books, and this one sounds like a must read. The characters sound enjoyable, and I really like that the book takes place in London. This one is going on my TBR pile :)

    Great review!!

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magen! It's definitely a sweet story! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm very picky with my contemporary books but this one sounds like it is a lot of fun. I'm glad you enjoyed it and hopefully I can make time for it soon. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I hope you like this one if you do decide to pick it up!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)