Thursday, November 15, 2012

Goodbye Twilight

The last Twilight film, Breaking Dawn Part 2, is out in theaters tonight and it's a bittersweet goodbye for me.

For the past several years I have been closely following along from the release of Breaking Dawn in bookstores to the first Twilight movie and now finally to the last Breaking Dawn movie. I feel like it has been nonstop Twilight in my life for years. For me these books and movies will always hold a special part in my life. I feel wrong ignoring what an impact these books had on my life as a teenager. I know that there are many people out there who hate this series and the movies, I respect that. However these books just mean something else to me. These books helped turn my life around for the better.

I first read Twilight in the summer of 2007. I was in high school and it wasn't the greatest point of my life to say the least. I wasn't even close to being the kind of reader that I am today. English was far from being my favorite subject in school. I would read books occasionally in my free time but I just never fell in love with the stories, so I barely ever actually finished a book. However I was online one day and saw an ad for Twilight. I'm not entirely sure what it was exactly, but it caught my interest. Since I didn't have much else going on I decided I would start reading it. I remember my mom and sister both looking at me strangely when I asked them to drive me to the local Borders. 



It didn't take long though until I was completely sucked into this world and staying up until 4 am reading. The next morning, with very little sleep, I begged my mom to bring me to buy New Moon. Twilight was all it took for me to realize that books could completely transport you into a new and exciting universe. They could help you forget about things for a short time and that little break made a big difference. With Twilight I was feeling these emotions right alongside the characters. Edward even became my first book crush. I was never one to believe in love growing up, I was completely cynical. However Twilight was the first time I read a love story and believed it. I know that this love story isn't perfect and I don't want that type of relationship in real life but it was the first time I believed. I admit to crying a lot through half of New Moon even. The wait for Breaking Dawn wasn’t easy and I begged my sister to stand in line with me to buy the book as soon as the doors opened at Borders that morning.

After that I kept rereading the series over and over again. It soon became my comfort book and still is. It took months after Breaking Dawn before I saw an article online of books to read after the Twilight series. From then one I practically visited the Young Adult section of the bookstore every week trying to find what I could read next. It was like I was realizing for the first time that I missed out on reading so many incredible stories, so I wanted to read as many as I possibly could. Before I knew it, I had an overwhelming stack of books surrounding my bed.




 

These books and later movies eventually led me to have some of my favorite memories. I will never forget those days I stayed in line to meet Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, and Taylor Lautner with hundreds of other Twilight fans like myself for hours. I will always remember standing in the pouring rain to meet the cast with a group of fans that came all the way from Brazil who kindly let me join them under their umbrella. I will always remember the kindness of a Kristen fan who let me take her spot in the front row so I could talk to Taylor. I will never forget the cheers that erupted before every single midnight showing. I will be in debt to my sister for a long time for going along with me to see every movie more than once and standing in several lines for hours to meet the cast with me even though she absolutely hated it. I will never forget my mom going to see New Moon with me at midnight just so I wouldn't have to go alone. I will always remember every single time my dad and I would go see the movies together in theaters and try to break our own personal record for how many times we could see it in theaters.



Maybe the reason that these books are so special to me can't be thoroughly explained. These books found me at one of the lowest points of my life.  When I think back to the girl I was the first day I picked up Twilight, I don't even recognize her. She was a really lonely, sad, and lost girl who just wished she was anywhere but in the present moment. Twilight isn't entirely responsible for the change I went through but it was there for me the entire time. Perhaps without Twilight I may have never stumbled upon my love for Young Adult books. Twilight just brought that part of me I didn't know I had to the surface. I know for a fact I still will always love reading this series and watching these movies. Whenever I think of Twilight I will always have some of the best memories. 

So thank you Stephenie Meyer for writing these books and for having such an impact on my life. These books gave me hope when I had none left anymore. Thank you for being the first one to show me just how powerful books could be.


22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous post. Really so lovely to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read this - I love twilight books too (although I am much older) and am impressed they have had such an impact on your life - even to setting up this blog! Edward was also a book crush for me, though that switched when I saw the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how much this series means to you. It's hard to believe it is an end to an era. Even though it was Harry Potter that got me reading again, it wasn't until Twilight that I really made the venture to branch out in the genre. And of course it led me to meet some really great friends. Thanks so much for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I read and loved Harry Potter too but I was so young that I definitely enjoy the books much more now.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post, Traci! I admit that it made me tear up a bit because, like you, I have had several great memories of being in the Twilight fandom since 2007. From running sites to meeting some of my best online buddies through it, it's been a whirlwind of the best kind. This past year I sort of distanced myself from it all, mostly because of how hectic real life got, but I'll always be thankful for everything I experienced through Twilight. I'm glad you had such a great experience, too. Enjoy the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Steph! It's great to hear you have so many memories as well. Enjoy the movie too :)

      Delete
  5. Twilight was what got me really into reading YA. I had been reading a lot of adult thriller/mystery books and some good smexy romance, but it wasn't until my love for Twilight that I really got into YA. I know that a lot of people have negative things to say about the series, but I have nothing but love for it. I have re-read the books countless times and watch the movies over and over. Great post. Hope you enjoy the movie. I am hoping to get to see it in the theater, but don't know if I will get to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I hope you get to see it soon :) I know so many people hate on it but I don't care.

      Delete
  6. This is such a lovely post. I've always said that even through all of Twilight's faults it did do one big thing. And that was getting people reading again, including myself. I don't like the books anymore, but I used to love them. And I'll always remember how it rekindled my flame for reading. :)

    *Also, Twilight might not be over because I hear the are exploring a possible spin-off series???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yeah I see the faults in it now but it got so many people to read more. I'm not sure how I feel about a spin off though.

      Delete
  7. I love this post! I have always been a big reader but Twilight is what made me really fall in love with the pararomance genre. Ever since them I can't pass up a good paranormal romance. I hate that so many people trash this series because it holds a special place in a lot of people's hearts.

    Fab post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I know my sister is one of the people who hates it but I don't care.

      Delete
  8. I loved this book! Like you I wasn't a big reader until discovering Twilight! I remember reading it for the first time in 2006... so I think I was in 6th grade. My friends and I were completely obsessed with it, and I got upset because I had found out about it first... So then I started reading all of these other books just so I could act superior.. (I know I was immature).

    It's sad that it's all ending, but now there's room for all of the new movies coming out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :) I did the same thing. I know I'm so excited for all the other book adaptations coming out.

      Delete
  9. Awesome post! Twilight totally got me into reading Young Adult. I read it here and there before these books, but after I read them it's pretty much the only genre I read anymore! i'm actually glad it's finally over though. Maybe now Stephenie Meyer will right something new! *fingers crossed for sequel to The Host*

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesse! I'm hoping for a sequel to The Host too or anything else new :)

      Delete
  10. It has a special place in my heart too. It got me back into reading and introduced me to the world of blogging.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear Brandi! Definitely led me down the path that eventually turned into this blog :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Traci, this is one of the most touching & beautifully written pieces on Twilight that I've ever read. It moved me deeply because, although you're several years younger than I am, you wrote my story almost verbatim! I was a lost soul, trapped in the prison of addiction when I picked up Twilight.

    Then, like you, I began to change until I was truly transformed into a lover of YA; any hint of my obsession with drugs was transferred to my love of books.

    So thank you, thank you for actually putting the way I feel about this series into words on my screen!

    Terri B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you so much for this comment Terri!
      It's so great to hear that Twilight helped you so much as well. I feel like it's so difficult to explain how just one book can find you at a time when you need it most and help turn your life around. I'm so glad you found your love for books too! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)