Thursday, November 8, 2012

Blog Tour: Dear Teen Me

Dear Teen Me: Authors Write Letters to Their Teen Selves
By: E. Kristin Anderson, Miranda Kenneally, and more
Released: October 30, 2012
Source: E-book for Blog Tour
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Dear Teen Me includes advice from over 70 YA authors (including Lauren Oliver, Ellen Hopkins, and Nancy Holder, to name a few) to their teenage selves. The letters cover a wide range of topics, including physical abuse, body issues, bullying, friendship, love, and enough insecurities to fill an auditorium. So pick a page, and find out which of your favorite authors had a really bad first kiss? Who found true love at 18? Who wishes he’d had more fun in high school instead of studying so hard? Some authors write diary entries, some write letters, and a few graphic novelists turn their stories into visual art. And whether you hang out with the theater kids, the band geeks, the bad boys, the loners, the class presidents, the delinquents, the jocks, or the nerds, you’ll find friends--and a lot of familiar faces--in the course of Dear Teen Me." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed reading the Dear Teen Me anthology. I actually visited the website a few times last year so I was really excited when I first heard that the letters would be compiled into a book.

There is such a variety of letters included in this book. Some letters are even in the form of drawings. Some are funny while others are quite heartbreaking. However there is at least one letter that you can really find yourself connecting with because these are stories of growing up. These are real stories of issues that real teenagers are faced with. There are stories about boyfriends or girlfriends, friendships, and so much more.

I especially enjoyed Jessica Cora's, Carrie Jone's, and Miranda Kenneally's letters. The letter's between Elizabeth Miles and Lauren Oliver were great too because they have been best friends since they were younger, so they wrote letters to each other. Another aspect of this anthology that I loved were the breaks where it asked several of the contributing authors a question like "What was your most embarrassing moment?" Overall I strongly recommend reading Dear Teen Me. It might even help you with an issue you are currently handling or it might inspire you write your own Dear Teen Me letter.

My Rating:

17 comments:

  1. This book is such a great idea for teens and adults to read. I love that their are friendship letters written back and forth too by Lauren Oliver and Elizabeth Miles! What a great addition.

    Thank you so much for sharing your own letter. It's hard to believe how different we view things back then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I agree this was such a great idea for teens and adults!

      Delete
  2. Wow. If the letters in Dear Teen Me are as inspirational as yours than This is definitely a book I need to read! Great review, and thanks for sharing this letter. I want to share it with a few girls who are just starting there high school experiences and are having similar issues!

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I love your Teen Me letter ..that was honest and just *hugs* you. Mistakes are made to be better and you, my friend, are better. :) But COME ON. THAT A-HOLE. Sorry, I had to and those girls too. Ugh but, hey no one is perfect right? Awesome letter to your younger self, Traci. :)

    P.S. I won't share my drinks with anyone now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monica! Hahah oh yeah he totally is an A-Hole. Also yeah those girls were too and even worse is one of them goes to the same college as me so it's awkward. *hugs* :)

      Delete
    2. Ooooooo ..girl, BEWARE THE MEAN GIRLS.

      I wonder where A-hole is now.

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah! Hahah well last I heard from our mutual best friend is that A-hole was dating a much much younger girl still in high school and she didn't get along with any of his friends. Then whenever his guy friends tried to plan a guys night he would bring her along anyway so his friends stopped bothering to hang out with him.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely loved this book and was so thrilled to be part of the tour as well. Fantastic letter, Traci. Great post- and a great blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I loved being a part of the tour too! :)

      Delete
  5. Aww. Great letter to yourself :) I wrote one for myself, too. Felt good, right? And I loved Dear Teen Me! Good book :)
    Cheers!

    Millie @ Millie D's Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millie! Yes writing a letter felt really good! Happy you enjoyed the book too! :)

      Delete
  6. That book sounds amazing and I will have to read it! Definitely! And your Teen Me letter... wow, it was an amazing letter, Traci. It's good to see that in the end everything turned out for the better for you :) I really loved this post!!

    Magen Corrie
    ~Corrie the book, crazed girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Magen! Things definitely turned out better! I hope you enjoy this book if you pick it up! :)

      Delete
  7. Great letter to yourself! I don't know if I could write a letter to my Teen Self. I was one hot mess back then lol!! I am about 3/4 done with reading Dear Teen Me and I thinks it's really great. Thanks for sharing your letter. I have seen a few people do this in their reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I'm happy you're enjoying Dear Teen Me!

      Delete
  8. Traci! What a great great letter. I absolutely love it and I feel like so many of us could have written the same one to our younger selves. It actually feels like it could have been in the book.

    Thanks for sharing all of this. I really enjoyed reading it & I look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)