Friday, November 9, 2012

Black City by Elizabeth Richards

Black City
By: Elizabeth Richards
Released: November 13, 2012
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war. In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable—they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed—but their feelings are too strong. When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I loved Black City and completely devoured this book in just a few hours. It was one of those books where I kept saying to myself just one more chapter but I just couldn't force myself to put it down. I haven't read many books with vampires in a while. However, I found this to be a refreshing take on vampires because in this world they are called Darklings and there are different types of Darklings. 

The chapters alternate between Ash and Natalie. Ash is a half-blood Darkling and has a bad reputation. Natalie is the Emissary's daughter. They both come from completely different lives which made the alternating perspectives so great. It provided a contrasting view of the world. Natalie and Ash were great characters too though and I loved getting to know both of them. Natalie has a backbone and learning about her past was really interesting. Ash is known as the troublemaker but there is much more to him and certainly another side to him as well. I thought the relationship that began between Ash and Natalie developed at a great pace. There were quite a few side characters that I loved too, like Day and Beetle.

The plot was captivating and I loved how this book opened. It was a great hook that immediately sucked me into this story. Some parts were predictable but there were other moments that shocked me. The romance in particular wasn't as predictable as I originally thought it would be. This story has a great blend of both action and romance. It made my heart race and then it would make me so frustrated at other times. However it was always in a good way because I was just so lost in the story.

The world that Richards creates is so fascinating. Black City is such an interesting city and certainly terrifying. I definitely wouldn't want to live there. A war between the humans and Darklings has just ended and there are more new rules being enforced. The details that Richards used made it easy for me to clearly picture what this city would look like. I will certainly be highly anticipating the next book! Richards makes an excellent debut and I can't wait to see where she will take this story next. Overall I highly recommend Black City, you won't want to miss out on this book! 


My Rating:

15 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see a positive review of this after seeing so many mixed reviews. I have been wanting to read it so bad! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad to see you enjoyed this one! I really want to read this one. Like, really bad. But, I've been getting mixed opinions about this book. And I'm liking this Ash figure. :3 Great review!
    Cheers!

    Millie @ Millie D's Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millie! I hope you love it! I've been seeing that it's either hit or miss for people so I'm happy it was a hit for me.

      Delete
  3. I have been excited for this book from the moment I first saw that cover. The superficial part of me was immediately drawn in. But then I read that synopsis an kept seeing more and more great reviews. Now I am even more excited to read this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I totally was first drawn to this book because of the cover too! I love it and then the cover for Phoenix is so amazing too!

      Delete
  4. I've been dying to read this! I'm so glad to hear you liked it. I love the idea of Darklings. It's good to read a unique take on vampires after all of the vampire books I've read in the past.

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesse! I hope you love it too! It was definitely a refreshing vampire book!

      Delete
  5. Very excited for this one!! Even more so now---glad to hear about the great characters and story that draws you in right away, that's exactly what I need right now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was definitely a good book for me that got me out of my reading slump :)

      Delete
  6. I loved how it opened too! Definitely caught my attention and made me want to keep reading more and more! I'm so glad you liked this one. So excited for the sequel and glad it isn't even a full year to wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope this book is as awesome for me as it was for you! I love the idea of Black City and the darkling bit, I'm more lured in by the romance between the two main characters. It just sounds like it's going to be so sexy, and, well, I generally speaking have my mind in the gutter most days. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash! Hah yeah no the romance aspect is great and it's definitely sexy too :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad you loved this one! Quite a few of the reviews I've read haven't painted it in such a good light. For a little while I was thinking that I'd pass on reading it. I'm so happy I read your review! You've given me hope :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)