Thursday, October 11, 2012

Velveteen by Daniel Marks

Velveteen
By: Daniel Marks
Released: October 9, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Velveteen Monroe is dead. At 16, she was kidnapped and murdered by a madman named Bonesaw. But that’s not the problem. The problem is she landed in purgatory. And while it’s not a fiery inferno, it’s certainly no heaven. It’s gray, ashen, and crumbling more and more by the day, and everyone has a job to do. Which doesn’t leave Velveteen much time to do anything about what’s really on her mind. Bonesaw. Velveteen aches to deliver the bloody punishment her killer deserves. And she’s figured out just how to do it. She’ll haunt him for the rest of his days.  It’ll be brutal... and awesome. But crossing the divide between the living and the dead has devastating consequences. Velveteen’s obsessive haunting cracks the foundations of purgatory and jeopardizes her very soul. A risk she’s willing to take—except fate has just given her reason to stick around: an unreasonably hot and completely off-limits coworker. Velveteen can’t help herself when it comes to breaking rules... or getting revenge. And she just might be angry enough to take everyone down with her" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I liked Velveteen and I enjoyed learning about this world that Marks created. I really wanted to love this book but it fell short at times for me. I kept waiting for that one moment when I would just fall in love with this story but unfortunately it never hit me. That being said though, I did still like this story.

Velveteen was killed by a serial killer, Bonesaw, and she wants her revenge. She works in purgatory now but she keeps returning to haunt Bonesaw even though it's a big risk. I liked Velveteen because she's definitely tough. I really wanted her to get her revenge. I kept wanting to know more about Velveteen and her past though. Then Velveteen meets Nick who is new to purgatory. I really enjoyed getting to know him but again I wanted to know even more about him too. 

The plot is not just a story about revenge because there is a lot going on in purgatory. The world that Marks builds is really interesting and different. There is a whole society in purgatory where everyone has jobs. It's almost like they are still living but in a completely different kind of way. I did struggle with the first half of this book but once I got to the middle, I couldn't put it down. The descriptions in the beginning were what I particularly struggled to get through. I really wanted to know more about this world because it was fascinating but it would get somewhat confusing. Overall though I liked Velveteen and found it to be a dark and chilling story.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I do like the concept of revenge for reading material. I have been curious about this one. It's too bad it fell a little short for you. Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! :) I loved books with a good revenge plot too!

      Delete
  2. I've heard a lot of different takes on this one. Some people love it, some hate it, but most people seem to like it well enough. I think I'll give it a try, but I'll probably get it from the library. Thanks for the review :)

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesse! I have been reading a mix of reviews on this one too so I was a bit worried but I'm happy I still liked this one.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)