Thursday, October 18, 2012

Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally

Stealing Parker
By: Miranda Kenneally
Released: October 1, 2012
Source: Purchased E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"After a scandal rocks their conservative small town, 17-year-old Parker Shelton goes overboard trying to prove that she won't turn out like her mother: a lesbian. The all-star third-baseman quits the softball team, drops 20 pounds and starts making out with guys--a lot. But hitting on the hot new assistant baseball coach might be taking it a step too far...especially when he starts flirting back." (Summary from goodreads.com)


I had such high expectations for Stealing Parker and I completely loved every page of this book! I was really looking forward to it because the first book to this companion, Catching Jordan, was one of my top favorite books of last year.

Parker is in her senior year of high school and is dealing with a lot of rumors after her mother left her father for another woman. She makes some major changes in her life like losing weight, quiting softball, and doing whatever it takes to prove she isn't like her mother. I liked Parker immediately because she was realistic. I just really connected with her instantly. She is dealing with a lot at home and with school because of the rumors her ex-best friend spread. She is far from being perfect and she is discovering who she is and what she wants.  

There are so many other great new characters and also some familiar faces from Catching Jordan. I loved all the guys because they were fun and each had some sort of friendship with Parker. Drew is Parker's best friend for years and they have a special friendship. Then there is Corndog who Parker has known for years and competes with her for the spot as class valedictorian. Finally there is Brian, the gorgeous and much older new baseball coach.

I finished this book in a day because I didn't want to put it down. There is so much more going on in this story than just the relationship that Parker finds herself in with an older guy. It was a fun but still serious book. Kenneally excellently handles a variety of topics from sex, drug abuse, homosexuality, and religion. I admit that I was not expecting religion to play such a big role in this story and I usually tend to stay away from books that include religion. However it didn't bother me because there were other things going on so that stopped it from being the center of the whole story. I also admit I'm not a big baseball fan so I was somewhat worried about that but this book actually made me like baseball a little bit more.

Overall I loved Stealing Parker! This book made my heart race and break. It was so easy to become attached to these characters and I was sad when this book ended because I didn't want to say goodbye just yet. Kenneally once again writes an honest and real depiction of high school. I strongly recommend Stealing Parker, it's a captivating story with characters you can't help but fall in love with.

My Rating:



14 comments:

  1. Stealing Parker was SO good. I loved Corndog and I can't wait to read the next companion in the series.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! All of you are torturing me with your positive reviews for Stealing Parker! I abosolutely loved Catching Jordan because I loved how football was all tied in with a whole bunch of contemporary book aspects. I looovee football. So, after reading CJ, I have such high expectations for SP, even if I'm not a big baseball fan.
    Great review!

    Millie @ Millie D's Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millie! I loved Catching Jordan so much so I couldn't wait to read Catching Jordan. I'm also not a big baseball fan but I really enjoyed this still! Hope you love it! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm really excited for this one and your review has me even more excited. Everyone's saying such awesome things about it and I haven't even read Catching Jordan yet! Must go get a copy as soon as possible!

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesse! I highly recommend Stealing Parker and Catching Jordan! Hope you enjoy them! :)

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't have expected religion to play a part in this book either but it sounds like it fit. I am really looking forward to reading this one! Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I really was not expecting the whole religion aspect at all but it did definitely fit.

      Delete
  5. Great review. I'm really going to have to end up checking this book out!!

    Rebecca @ Vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to read this book!! I know I will love it. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Hope you get the chance to read it soon! :)

      Delete
  7. I need to read this book!! *eye twitches*
    And your review makes me want to start it now!!

    Great review Traci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magen! Hope you get a chance to read it soon! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)