Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Skinny by Donna Cooner

Skinny
By: Donna Cooner
Released: October 1, 2012
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Find your voice. Hopeless. Freak. Elephant. Pitiful. These are the words of Skinny, the vicious voice that lives inside fifteen-year-old Ever Davies’s head. Skinny tells Ever all the dark thoughts her classmates have about her. Ever knows she weighs over three hundred pounds, knows she’ll probably never be loved, and Skinny makes sure she never forgets it. But there is another voice: Ever’s singing voice, which is beautiful but has been silenced by Skinny. Partly in the hopes of trying out for the school musical—and partly to try and save her own life—Ever decides to undergo a risky surgery that may help her lose weight and start over. With the support of her best friend, Ever begins the uphill battle toward change. But demons, she finds, are not so easy to shake, not even as she sheds pounds. Because Skinny is still around. And Ever will have to confront that voice before she can truly find her own." (Summary from goodreads.com)

When I first heard about Skinny it sounded like it would be a really good story and I'm really happy I chose to pick this book up. Once I picked up this book I couldn't put it down because I was so caught up in Ever's story.

Ever is fifteen years old and is overweight. She has tried dieting and exercising but it just doesn't work for her so she decides to have the life changing surgery. Within the first few pages I was inside Ever's head. She isn't always a likable character because she has a bad attitude at times. She is very self loathing and inside her head she has a person called Skinny telling her horrible and dark thoughts. I really loved going on this journey with Ever because she not only changes how she looks on the outside but she changes on the inside as well. There were so many other great and interesting side characters as well such as Rat and Briella.

I was immediately hooked into this story from the first page and finished this book in one day. My mom had the gastric bypass surgery years ago so this something that I'm very familiar with. This surgery is a big decision to make because even though it can save your life in the long run, it's still dangerous. Then after the surgery it's a constant struggle because how and what you can eat is changed for the rest of your life. Overall I think Cooner did a really great job handling it and I thought her writing was fantastic. It was interesting being inside Ever's head and Skinny's thoughts were completely vicious. I also liked how Ever used Broadway show tunes as the soundtrack of her journey.

I really liked how honest and realistic this story was as well because like I mentioned before Ever isn't always a likable character and the kids at her school would say some mean things. Overall though I really enjoyed Skinny and won't be forgetting Ever's story anytime soon. It's so much more than just a book about changing who you are on the outside because it's also about being the best person you can be on the inside too.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I have a copy of this, but I've been hesitant to read it because I almost always feel iffy about "issue" books. I'm glad to hear that this is handled well, though, and I'm curious to read more about Ever's journey. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! I know what you mean about issue books. I had this sitting on my shelf for a while before I decided to pick it up but I'm really happy I did.

      Delete
  2. I do enjoy reading books that are about real life issues. And this one sounds really good! I like that it is honest and realistic.
    Great Review!

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magen! I hope you enjoy it if you pick it up then!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)