Monday, October 29, 2012

Rockoholic by C.J. Skuse

Rockoholic
By: C.J. Skuse
Released: November 1, 2012
Source: ARC from Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"She's got it bad, and he ain't good -- he's in her garage? "I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me..."  Gonna have to face it: Jody's addicted to Jackson Gatlin, frontman of The Regulators, and after her best bud Mac scores tickets, she's front and center at his sold-out concert. But when she gets mashed in the moshpit and bodysurfs backstage, she's got more than a mild concussion to deal with. By the next morning, the strung-out rock star is coming down in her garage. Jody -- oops -- kind of kidnapped him. By accident. With a Curly Wurly candy bar. And now he doesn't want to leave. It's a rock-star abduction worthy of an MTV reality series...but who got punk'd?!" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Rockoholic and this is just my type of book! It has rock music and a character that gets herself in trouble quite often. It was such a fun story that I didn't want to put down. Jody is obsessed with the lead singer in The Regulators, Jackson. Jody is already quite a bit of a troublemaker and through a string of events at the concert, she kind of ends up kidnapping Jackson. Jackson isn't exactly the guy that Jody has dreamed of meeting for years though. 

Jody was a great character that I loved getting to know. I knew I would like her from the first chapter. She is filled with a lot of angst to put it lightly. Angst filled characters are my favorite though because they remind me of myself as a teenager. Jody is easily someone that I could picture myself being friends with. I'm a huge music fan too and I have had plenty of crushes on my favorite musicians. I have never had an obsession with one quite like Jody's, but I understand it. Another great character that I loved getting to know was Jody's best friend Mac. He is such a great friend and definitely puts up with the crazy situations Jody gets herself in.

The plot was great and paced fairly well. It was easy to get hooked into this story. Reading about the situations that Jody finds herself in and how she exactly ended up kidnapping Jackson was hilarious. It wasn't just all laughs though because there were still some serious issues like sex and drug use brought up too.

I loved how at moments I felt like I was right there with the characters though, especially during the concert. While reading, I can easily picture the mosh pit and the band going crazy on stage. Overall, Rockoholic was a fun read and I highly recommend it to any music lovers!

My Rating:

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a fun book! I love books about music, and this sounds like the kind I'd really enjoy. I've definitely had my fair share of crushes on musicians! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hollie! :) I hope you enjoy if you decide to pick it up!

      Delete
  2. This book does sound fun!! I have to read it!! I like that cover, too! Great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magen! I love this cover a lot actually! :)

      Delete
  3. I just got this from Netgalley and I'm really looking forward to starting it. It sounds like so much fun! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds so fun!! I had requested it on NetGalley months ago and never heard back :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a fun book! Aww no hopefully you get the chance to read it still :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)