Monday, October 15, 2012

New York Comic Con Recap

Wow New York Comic Con was definitely a wild and exhausting weekend. Walking into New York Comic Con is like entering a mini fantasy world. I had such an amazing time and this was actually my third year attending. I even got to meet some more bloggers there. Here is a bit of a recap of just the book related events I attended.

Thursday:
Thursday was the first afternoon the show floor was open. The first thing I ended up finding was a Beautiful Creatures tote bag that included a official movie poster, tattoo, pens, and book samples. I may have danced in the aisle a bit because I was so excited. I only got even more excited though when I picked up a copy of Dualed by Elsie Chapman which is one of my most anticipated books of next year. I even gushed with the man at the Random House booth about how awesome Elsie Chapman is. Before I left for the day I also picked up a copy of Nerve by Jeanne Ryan, and Slated by Terri Terry.


Friday:
(Passion, Power, Paranormals Panel)
Friday I attended the Passion, Power, and Paranormals panel which had Tahreh Mafi, Margaret Stohl, Dan Krokas, Alexandra Bracken, Tonya Hurley, Jocelyn Davies, Kalayana Price and Keri Arthur. It was a fun and interesting panel where each author talked about their books and writing. After that there was a signing and I met each author. I later got a Beautiful Creatures t-shirt which has just become my favorite shirt. I also met Andrea Cremer and Morgan Rhodes at the Penguin booth. One of the best surprises of the day was getting a copy of Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi and it was signed.



Saturday:
(Beautiful Creatures Panel)
Saturday morning started with another awesome surprise at the Harper booth where Tahereh Mafi was signing. This was my second time meeting Tahereh and she is so sweet. Afterwards I met Victoria Schwab and Beth Revis. Both authors were so great and I have been wanting to meet them for so long. Victoria Schwab even recognized me from my internship at Spencer Hill.
Afterwards I went to hang out for a few hours in line to get in the IGN theater for the Beautiful Creatures panel. I'm a huge Beautiful Creatures fan and I was so excited for this panel so of course I wore my Dark Caster tee. The panel began with a 5 minute behind the scenes feature where each actor briefly introduced their character. Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Emmy Rossum, Zoey Deutch, Thomas Mann, Alden Ehrenreich, and Richard LaGravenese. They then introduced a montage clip that was absolutely amazing! It was Lena telling Ethan about the casters and showed when Ridley turned dark. The cast then took a few questions. Emmy discussed playing Ridley and how in the movie Ridley doesn't just have her lollipops but she has cookies and fruit too. Each cast member then answered which was their favorite scene. Zoey was really excited about a scene between Mrs. Lincoln and Macon. Alden enjoyed anything that was involving Lena and Ethan's relationship. The producer loved the scene when Ethan first visits Ravenwood Manor. Emmy also said that in the movie Ridley has her own little theme song. Overall though I loved the panel and I didn't think it was possible for me to get that much more excited for this movie. 

(Beautiful Creatures Panel)


Sunday:
Sunday was a crazy day and I mostly spent my day attending non book related events. I did go to meet who did the graphics for the Vampire Academy graphic novel. She was so sweet and so excited to have the chance to work on this series. I then attended the Young Adult Publisher Spotlight where publishing companies discussed the upcoming books.
 
Disney discussed:
Blue Bloods Graphic Novel 
 Beta by Rachel Cohn
Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
 The Archived by Victoria Scwab
 The Lives We Lost by Megan Crewe

Harper discussed:
 Fragments by Dan Wells
 Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
 Requiem by Lauren Oliver
 Mind Games by Kiersten White
 Light by Michael Grant
 Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza
 Arclight by Josin L. McQuein
 Revolution 19 by Gregg Rosenblum
  Reboot by Amy Tintera. 
Little Brown discussed:
 The Diviners by Libba Bray
 Zom-B by Darren Shan
 Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
 Etiquette Espionage by Gail Carrige
 Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
 The Breaking Dawn movie tie in
 Struck by Lightning by Chris Colfer
Macmillan discussed:
 Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
 Unremembered by Jessica Brody
 Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
 Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Penguin discussed:
 Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
 Rise by Andrea Cremer
 Shades of Earth by Beth Revis
 Prodigy by Marie Lu
 Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson
 The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
 
Random House discussed:
 Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
 Every Day by David Levithan
 Kill Order by James Dashner
 Mystic City by Theo Lawrence 
Dualed by Elsie Chapman 
Simon Schuster discussed:
 Unwholly by Neal Shusterman 
Flesh and Bone by Jonathan Maberry
 The Blessed by Tonya Hurley
 Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger 
Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans
Tor Teen discussed:
 Earthseed by Pamela Sargent
  Girl of Nightmares by Kendra Blake
Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow
 Breaking Point by Kristen Simmons
Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett .

*Huge thank you to all of the publishers for the books and swag! Thank you to all of the authors who attended as well! I already can't wait to attend again next year!

10 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so jealous! I went to CC last year but didn't get to go this year! Congrats on all the books and swag :)

    Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I'm so jealous! Looks like you had a lot of fun! :D Enjoy your book haul

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had such a great time! That Passion, Powers and Paranormal panel is something I think I would have really enjoyed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous, but I'm glad you had a good time! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOHOO! I AM SO FREAKING JEALOUS! HAHAHA! AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME! THANKS FOR SHARING THIS!! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh!!! So so so jealous girl! But it looks like you had an amazing time!!!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!! *DIES* So jealous of Dualed, Unravel Me, and Mind Games! Besides that, I am so envious of you that you got to go to NYCC! It looks like it was such a blast!! Enjoy all of the awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you had an awesome time ! I can't stop looking at Unravel Me ! It blows my mind people have this ARC. I've heard the book sections of NY Comicon are pretty calm compared to the rest and it's easy to pick up an ARC. I hope I make it next year !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Traci, thank you again for the great recap! Really very happy to hear lots of readers are excited for DUALED :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited to hear S&S was talking up LEVEL 2, thanks for the recap!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)