Friday, October 5, 2012

Mystic City by Theo Lawrence


Mystic City
By: Theo Lawrence
Released:October 9, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself." (summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Mystic City! It was a little difficult for me to get into this story but the more I learned about this world, the more this story sucked me in.

Aria is from one of the ruling families and has lived a very privileged life. However Aria has many huge gaps missing from her memory and supposedly she is in love with the son of her families rival. She is even set to marry him and help unite their families. Aria won't stop looking for the answers to those missing memories though.

Aria was an interesting character. She did aggravate me at times because of the choices she makes and she was too trusting of other people. That didn't necessarily stop me from cheering her on though. She just isn't entirely certain about what the truth is and who she can trust from the memory loss. I also found the secondary characters to be great, especially Hunter. Hunter is a mystic and I loved learning all about him.

The plot was really interesting and exciting. It took me a little while to get used to it but after a couple of chapters, I couldn't stop reading. There was a good balance of suspense and action that got my heart racing in fear for the characters. I liked the mystery surrounding Aria's memory loss and trying to figure out what was really the truth. It did get predictable early on but I still enjoyed how it all unraveled and there were still a few surprises. The mystics were really interesting too and I liked how Lawrence explained who the mystics were.

I absolutely loved the setting in New York City too. It always gives me chills to read about how a familiar landmark is destroyed. I found the world that Lawrence creates to be completely fascinating. Overall, Mystic City was a really enjoyable and captivating read. I will definitely be highly anticipating the sequel!

My Rating:

8 comments:

  1. This is one I really enjoyed - especially Hunter's character. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this one too Jen! Loved Hunter!

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading this one! I think the memory loss concept is intriguing to me, making me want to read this and discover what is going on. And I am happy to hear that even though some of it was predictable, that there was still some surprises to discover. Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I hope you enjoy it! It was definitely an interesting read. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm really excited about this book. Aria definitely sounds like an interesting character :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I am hoping to get to this one this week. It sounds really interesting. I'm glad that you enjoyed it despite Aria being a bit aggravating at times.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)