Monday, October 1, 2012

Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch

Magisterium
By: Jeff Hirsch
Released: October 1, 2012
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"On one side of the Rift is a technological paradise without famine or want. On the other side is a mystery. Sixteen-year-old Glenn Morgan has lived next to the Rift her entire life and has no idea of what might be on the other side of it. Glenn's only friend, Kevin, insists the fence holds back a world of monsters and witchcraft, but magic isn't for Glenn. She has enough problems with reality: Glenn's mother disappeared when she was six, and soon after, she lost her scientist father to his all-consuming work on the mysterious Project. Glenn buries herself in her studies and dreams about the day she can escape. But when her father's work leads to his arrest, he gives Glenn a simple metal bracelet that will send Glenn and Kevin on the run---with only one place to go." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Jeff Hirsch's Magisterium and finished this book in a day. The world that Hirsch creates is so interesting and different from anything else I have read.

Glenn can't wait until the day comes that she can get away. Her dad works all the time on a mysterious project and her mother left her years ago. Glenn takes care of her father but she dreams of having more. When her father is arrested, Glenn goes on the run with the metal bracelet her father gave her. Glenn was an interesting protagonist but she could also get frustrating at times. She is smart but at the same time she can't see what is right in front of her.

Kevin has been Glenn's best friend for a few years and goes on the run with her. I loved Kevin and he was definitely my favorite character in this story. I especially liked how he developed throughout this book. There were so many other interesting characters in this book that I loved meeting as well, especially Aamon.

It was easy to get wrapped up in this story from the beginning. I thought there was also a good balance of action spread throughout the book. I have read Hirsch's The Eleventh Plague and loved the world building in that but I loved the world he built in Magisterium even more. The Rift was fascinating to learn about and I loved how magic and technology played an important role in it.

The plot could get predictable at times but it was still enjoyable. I definitely plan on reading Hirsch's next book. Overall, Magisterium is an exciting story that introduces you to a memorable world.


My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. My boyfriend/co-blogger wants me to read this with him for a double review and I keep putting it off because I didn't think this was the book for me. I guess I'm wrong because it sounds like an interesting story.

    I'm glad you enjoyed this one and you helped to change my mind about this book :)
    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! I hope you enjoy it! I originally didn't plan on picking this one up but I had really liked Jeff Hirsch's other book and was looking to read something different. I'm really happy I read it now.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)