Monday, September 17, 2012

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

What's Left of Me
By: Kat Zhang
Released: September 18, 2012
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"What's Left of Me tells the story of a fifteen-year-old girl fighting for her right to survive in a world where two souls are born into each body and one is doomed to disappear. Pitched as The Golden Compass meets Girl, Interrupted. Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t… For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable–hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet…for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything."(summary from goodreads.com)

What's Left of Me had a very fascinating concept. In this world there are two souls born into a body and after a few years one of the souls fades away. However Addie is still keeping a secret that Eva never did fade away and she is still there.

It was weird getting used to two characters being in one body. Eventually though I got used to the dialogue between Addie and Eva. However I hated Addie. The more I read this book the more I couldn't stand Addie. I tried to look at it in her way but I just kept thinking that she was selfish and weak. I definitely didn't agree with her choices and I felt like screaming at her like Eva was screaming at her. Now on the other side though I loved Eva. She was a great character and I wish she was the dominant soul in the body. I just thought Eva was funny, stronger, and more selfless.

There were plenty of other characters I really liked too such as Hally and Devon. While reading though I definitely needed to make a character chart because there are a lot of names. It could get a little confusing at times in the beginning but by the second half of the book it was easier to follow.

The plot was really interesting and paced well. I loved learning about the two souls and the hybrids. There are a lot of questions unanswered but I think that this book was a good set up for the start of a series. The was predictable but I still found that it was hard to put this book down once I did start reading. It could get kind of creepy and horrifying as well. I definitely enjoyed the last few chapters the most. Overall I really enjoyed What's Left of Me and will be looking forward to the next book.

My Rating:

10 comments:

  1. This book definitely has a very interesting and intriguing concept. Two souls, one body.. Sounds a bit crowded. :)
    I do hate when there are so many characters that it is hard to keep up with them! Makes it hard to follow.

    I loved your review, not sure if I'll pick the book up but I will put it on my TBR pile.

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magen! If you do decide to read it, I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Huh this doesn't sound as amazing as people were making it out to be when they first got advance copies of it.

    It makes it really hard to like a book when you can't stand one of the main characters and I'm not sure I would like her either.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! I admit I was a little disappointed I couldn't enjoy it as much as it seemed everyone else did.

      Delete
  3. Awesome review Traci! I have to start reading this one soon as I can find the time for it.

    Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ezmirelda! Hope you enjoy it when you find the time! :)

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to read this! Great review. I am a little disappointed that it's going to be a series, but I guess I should expect that.

    Thanks for sharing. :]

    Kait @ YA Vixens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kait! I know what you mean because from the summary it sounded like a stand alone but after reading it I'm kind of happy that there will be another book now.

      Delete
  5. Hm... I've been really interested in this book because the premise is so unique, even for a dystopian. I'm glad that you liked it because I definitely plan to read this one.

    Thanks for this great review.

    Angie @YA Novelties

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)