Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys
By: Maggie Stiefvater
Released: September 18, 2012
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.” It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive. Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble. But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little. For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore." (Summary from goodreads.com)

The Raven Boys may have just become my favorite book of 2012. I just honestly loved everything about this book. I loved the writing, the characters, the plot, and the setting. It's been a while since I have read a book by Maggie Stiefvater and I can't believe I ever forgot just how much I love how she tells a story.

Blue is the daughter of a psychic in town and she lives in a house with her mother's friends and several aunts. Blue doesn't have the same abilities as her mother but she does amplify energy. However when Blue goes to the churchyard on St. Marks Eve to see the soon-to-be-dead, she sees one of the spirits herself. Blue was a character that I just instantly liked from the very beginning. She's different and tough. I enjoyed learning more about her as the story progressed and I loved how she interacted with other characters.

There are several other characters that I also loved, such as the Algionby boys. Gansey, Adam, Ronan, and Noah share this tight friendship and look out for one another. I loved learning about each of the boys individually, especially Gansey who is searching for something.  

The plot was fantastic and I loved how it all unraveled. There is a great mix of magic, mystery, action, and romance. Some moments even get kind of creepy and left me with chills. The story immediately sucked me in and I didn't want to put this book down but at the same time I didn't want it to ever end. So much happens in this book but it still never felt overwhelming at all.

The writing flows so smoothly from page to page. The chapters alternate between about four characters and I loved the opportunity to get to know each of these characters differently. I always worry when there are so many characters that I won't be able to remember who was who but that definitely wasn't the case here. The characters and the plot felt so real and it was so easy to visualize it all while reading. Days later and I still can't get this story out of my mind.

Stiefvater has set up an excellent beginning of what I can only imagine will be an amazing series. There are many questions left unanswered so I can't wait to read book two. I will definitely be rereading this book again soon though. I strongly recommend The Raven Boys, this is one book you won't want to miss this year! 

My Rating:

13 comments:

  1. That mix sounds exactly like what I enjoy to read! And a favorite of 2012 makes me want to read it even more! Great review. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I need to read this book! Just reading your review makes me wanna get it right now. Good characters, enjoyable writing and a good pace, sounds like a must read! Great Review :D

    Magen Corrie
    ~Corrie the book, crazed girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,I cannot tell you how much I'm looking forward to reading this book! I'm a pretty big fan of Maggie Stiefvater and I love her writing style. So glad to see you enjoyed the book! That's pretty encouraging for me--my hopes are pretty high for this book.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADAMMMM!!!!!!! OMG! So many feelings. I loved this book. UGH. I can't stop thinking about it. Awesome review!!!

    Anna
    Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I'm having a hard time reading something else now because this was just so good! Adam and Gansey <3

      Delete
  5. I really cannot wait to read this book. There is just something about it that is calling to me haha. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! Hope you love it! Also I totally know what you mean because the first time I read the synopsis I was like wow I just need this book. :)

      Delete
  6. I've been looking forward to this book for a while. Can't wait to read it, especially now, after that great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorites this year too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)