Thursday, September 27, 2012

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

Something Strange and Deadly
By: Susan Dennard
Released: July 24, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"The year is 1876, and there’s something strange and deadly loose in Philadelphia… Eleanor Fitt has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing, her family has fallen on hard times, and her mother is determined to marry her off to any rich young man who walks by. But this is nothing compared to what she’s just read in the newspaper— The Dead are rising in Philadelphia. And then, in a frightening attack, a zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor…from her brother. Whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she’ll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including their maddeningly stubborn yet handsome inventor, Daniel, the situation becomes dire. And now, not only is her reputation on the line, but her very life may hang in the balance." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Something Strange and Deadly and devoured this book in one sitting. The plot immediately captured my attention and didn't let go. Eleanor is worried about her missing brother which is why she goes to the Spirit-Hunters for help. The Spirit-Hunters protect the city from The Dead or otherwise known as zombies. Eleanor is a character that was easy for me to like and I really love how she develops over the course of the story. She was raised and taught to behave like a lady but she can't sit by any longer and do nothing. I liked that she is stubborn and doesn't give up easily.

I loved meeting and getting to know the Spirit-Hunters. There is Joseph, Daniel, and Jie who make up the team of protectors. I found each character to be strongly developed and I loved learning each of their back stories.

I thought the plot had a great balance of action and romance. I liked that this story was not just about zombies but it also involved a great deal of dark magic. I  also loved the setting in Philadelphia in 1876. The details that Dennard includes made it easy for me to picture the streets, the Exhibition, and even the dresses that Eleanor wears. Some parts were predictable from the beginning though but that didn't stop me from wanting to keep on reading.

I do have quite a few questions left about the characters and the world but I'm hoping the next book will help answer some of those. I will definitely be highly anticipating the sequel because I can't wait to see where Dennard will take this story next. Overall Something Strange and Deadly is a captivating and exciting story with romance, zombies, and dark magic.


My Rating:

12 comments:

  1. I have been hearing a lot about this book, I was sure if I should give it a try. I'm not too big on zombie books, but if it's just not about zombies I might give it a try!
    It definitely has a nice mix of interesting ideas it seems!

    Great review girl!

    Magen Corrie
    ~Corrie the book, crazed girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magen! I love zombie books but you might enjoy this one because zombies aren't the main story.

      Delete
  2. ^^^^ Magen please read this book!

    Great review! I fell in love with this book on the very first page. I loved Eleanor and I adored Daniel. I cannot wait to read the next book!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way. That ending!!! I did not see it coming at all and am dying to see where the story goes in the next book. Great review :)

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow i am a big fan of books with magic, and dark magic sounds fabulous! so glad you enjoyed this novel, i also love how it is a mix of action and romance, my favorite mix! ;)

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to get to this book soon. I have been dying to read it and haven't gotten a chance to get to it. Glad that you really enjoyed it. Fab review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree...I wanna read the second too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)